color coding of fuel cans, filler caps, and pumps???

/ color coding of fuel cans, filler caps, and pumps??? #1  

hemiguy

Silver Member
Tractor
JD2520 and JD455
OK, this may sound like a really dumb question to start a thread, but why aren't these consistently color coded?

Now for storage I have 2 1/2 and 5 gallon "standard" red cans for gasoline and a yellow 5 gallon can for diesel. I think TSC also sells blue 5 gallon cans for kero. But my JD455 (diesel) fuel cap is red, my JD2520 (diesel) fuel cap is black, and my JD322 (gas) fuel cap is also black. Of course my PU truck and cars (all gas) all have fuel caps that are common basic black. I honestly have never noticed if station pump nozzels have any particular colors. Bottom line, though, seems to be no particular color consistency vs fuel type.

So is this only true here in the US? How about up there in Canada or over there in Europe (where a way higher percentage of vehicles are Diesel). Just thought this is interesting as I've heard of a few times where folks have put gas in their company's diesel truck or visa versa. Oops. With this new global economy thing and language differences, seems like color coding would be a cool thing

Now someone might say color coding wouldn't help for those folks that are color blind, but this argument certainly doesn't hold water compared to something like say standard traffic signal lights.

Anyway, obviously way too much time on my hands to think about something like this.

/ color coding of fuel cans, filler caps, and pumps??? #2  
Gas pump handles are red or black, but diesel pump handles are green. Why not yellow? Or, if green is the official diesel color, why aren't the diesel cans green? A mystery...

/ color coding of fuel cans, filler caps, and pumps??? #3  
It just occurred to me that maybe its an issue with color blindness???

I know the CE sticker (picture or symbol label or sign) shows a fuel pump with a "D" on the the pump. Supposedly you don't have to read english (or in this case German or any specific language) to understand the label????

I think color scheme is mostly american but well understood and at least europe may have the CE stickers on cans as well as color????

/ color coding of fuel cans, filler caps, and pumps??? #4  
All the rubber (neoprene?) protectors on the diesel pump handles around here are yellow. Seems to me that the gas ones are all red. I'll have to keep that in mind when I am getting gas and see but I am sure about the diesel ones being yellow. Maybe that's only in Canada, eh?
I did have a metal diesel fuel can years ago that was painted green top and bottom. Galvanised can. It was supposed to be for diesel only and green was the colour. Never saw yellow diesel cans until they started being plastic.

/ color coding of fuel cans, filler caps, and pumps??? #5  
brandoro said:
All the rubber (neoprene?) protectors on the diesel pump handles around here are yellow. Seems to me that the gas ones are all red. I'll have to keep that in mind when I am getting gas and see but I am sure about the diesel ones being yellow. Maybe that's only in Canada, eh?
I did have a metal diesel fuel can years ago that was painted green top and bottom. Galvanised can. It was supposed to be for diesel only and green was the colour. Never saw yellow diesel cans until they started being plastic.
You could not put diesel in any thing worse than a Galvanised can!
:eek:

/ color coding of fuel cans, filler caps, and pumps??? #6  
That's a good point. Diesel should NEVER be stored in a copper or zinc (ie. galvanized) container. The sulfur in the diesel fuel can chemically attack the copper and zinc. Once the metal is in solution in the fuel you stand a chance of it plating onto internal parts in your fuel system like the internals of your fuel injectors, not a good thing.

/ color coding of fuel cans, filler caps, and pumps??? #7  
Curious that they would sell a can specifically for diesel that was bad for diesel engines. I didn't have it for very long, used it for spare fuel when I was in remote areas with the diesel pick up. When I sold the pick up and had no other diesel engines I gave it away. Only have plastic containers now, red and yellow.

/ color coding of fuel cans, filler caps, and pumps??? #8  
brandoro said:
Curious that they would sell a can specifically for diesel that was bad for diesel engines. I didn't have it for very long, used it for spare fuel when I was in remote areas with the diesel pick up. When I sold the pick up and had no other diesel engines I gave it away. Only have plastic containers now, red and yellow.
It might not have been galvanized on the inside of the can.

/ color coding of fuel cans, filler caps, and pumps??? #9  
brandoro said:
All the rubber (neoprene?) protectors on the diesel pump handles around here are yellow.
My brother was particularly distracted one day, picked up the yellow handle, and proceeded to pump over $100 of gasoline in his Cummins powered dually. Honestly didn't realize it until he started the truck and barely put it into gear before it quit. Had to drain the tank. I think he used the "junk" gas in some of his construction equipment.

There was no long-term damage to his truck.

Pretty darn confusing, though. With all the over-regulation in the US about EVERYTHING, you'd think they'd get this right at least...

/ color coding of fuel cans, filler caps, and pumps??? #10  
brandoro said:
Some will do anything for a buck