How long can diesel be stored?

/ How long can diesel be stored? #12  
Why is it that these companies that sell additives, filters, testers, water adsorbers, water seperators and other fuel maintenance devices always post really scary websites and put out really scary technical papers talking about how your fuel is going to go bad within months, weeks or even days? appears that the collective experience here and my own experience says otherwise. has anyone here ever had old diesel fuel actually cause a problem in their truck or tractor?

Theo

/ How long can diesel be stored? #13  
My fuel supplier has told me not to buy more fuel then I can burn in six months. He claims that is as long as you want to store bio diesel. He also recomended that if it has sat a while that you should stick the nozzle in the fill cap and let it run a while to stir it up a little.

/ How long can diesel be stored? #14  
I use a double Goldenrod filter system on my 500 off road tank. One regular and one water block filter. I've used this system for over 12 years. I change the filters once a year or when I get a new load of fuel. Never had any problems and sometimes I draw very little fuel out in a year. I've had the tank for 12 years and run 7600 gallons thru the pump meter. OUCH! At todays prices. I just recently checked the tank for water by using water indicator grease.
(it's yellow and turns red when contacting water) I was expecting at least an inch or two of water. NOTHING. My tank does slope towards the rear a little so I suspect there may be a small amount of water at that end. Nothing to be concerned about though. As far as using the 50 gallons of old fuel in your tank. I would not hesitate to mix it with new fuel and use it up. Back when fuel was a lot cheaper I might use it on burn piles, but not a present day cost per gallon. Contrary to what some say about diesel going bad, I have never really heard of someone having problems with old fuel. Other than if it had water in it.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ How long can diesel be stored? #16  
I use a double Goldenrod filter system on my 500 off road tank. One regular and one water block filter. I've used this system for over 12 years. I change the filters once a year or when I get a new load of fuel. Never had any problems and sometimes I draw very little fuel out in a year. I've had the tank for 12 years and run 7600 gallons thru the pump meter. OUCH! At todays prices. I just recently checked the tank for water by using water indicator grease.
(it's yellow and turns red when contacting water) I was expecting at least an inch or two of water. NOTHING. My tank does slope towards the rear a little so I suspect there may be a small amount of water at that end. Nothing to be concerned about though. As far as using the 50 gallons of old fuel in your tank. I would not hesitate to mix it with new fuel and use it up. Back when fuel was a lot cheaper I might use it on burn piles, but not a present day cost per gallon. Contrary to what some say about diesel going bad, I have never really heard of someone having problems with old fuel. Other than if it had water in it.

Sincerely, Dirt

That's the exact same way I set things up when I recently acquired a 200-gal tank. I sure hope the fuel lasts longer than a couple of months because I may not use much more than 200 gallons in a year. I'm sure it will not be a problem.

/ How long can diesel be stored? #17  
I sure hope the fuel lasts longer than a couple of months because I may not use much more than 200 gallons in a year.
You and me both. and here is the part that confuses me more than anything else. suppose you buy a 250 gallon tank and have it filled on day one. then you use 125 gallons the first year and have it refilled. then you use 125 gallons the second year and have it refilled again.

question: after that second refill at 2 years and one day after buying the tank, how the heck old is your diesel fuel??????

Theo

/ How long can diesel be stored? #18  
Thanks, all... I just purchased a used pickup with a diesel transfer tank in the bed... unclear how old the 1.5 inches of diesel in the tank is...

but, based on this thread, I'll just add new diesel and use it!.

Wonderful how TBN'ers are always just barely ahead of me on asking questions:D

/ How long can diesel be stored? #19  
That's the exact same way I set things up when I recently acquired a 200-gal tank. I sure hope the fuel lasts longer than a couple of months because I may not use much more than 200 gallons in a year. I'm sure it will not be a problem.
I set up a system for a 30 or 55 gallon drum with a 12V pump and filter. I'm on my first 60 gallon and montering how long it last me.
Later I plan on tying both drums into the system.Then I can go with 30 55 or 85 gallons at a time.

/ How long can diesel be stored? #20  
You and me both. and here is the part that confuses me more than anything else. suppose you buy a 250 gallon tank and have it filled on day one. then you use 125 gallons the first year and have it refilled. then you use 125 gallons the second year and have it refilled again.

question: after that second refill at 2 years and one day after buying the tank, how the heck old is your diesel fuel??????

Theo
I han't figured it out either.