Problems with ULSD

/ Problems with ULSD #1  

WTA

Platinum Member
Has anyone here had major problems with their vehicles or tractors since ULSD was made mandatory in your area?
From what I have been reading, there are a lot of hard to diagnose problems lately on tractors especially that just were almost unheard of just a few months ago when we still mostly had the old diesel at off road suppliers.

My truck has been running fine. Knock on wood. It is a 97 f250 with the nice older powerstroke. I'm still getting great fuel mileage considering and never had a problem with it.
My tractor on the other hand has been a nightmare since I started using it.

When I brought it home, 11 months ago, it was brand new. I had a brand new barrel with pump and filter on it. One of the goldenrod filter dryer type filter assemblies. I've never yet had to drain any visible water from it.

At first the off road supplier had regular old dyed red diesel in his tanks. It wasn't the ULSD. I asked.
About 3 months or so ago they switched to the ULSD in everything. It was all they were able to get at the big terminal anymore where every gas station supplier in this area fills up their trucks. It all comes from the same place no matter the brand on the pump.
Oddly, about a month after this is when I started having serious problems in my tractor engine. Everyone now is so completely lost that is working on it that tempers are getting hot, especially mine, and a guy from the factory that built it is supposedly on his way to help diagnose it. FINALY!
There is probably close to 60 years diesel mechanic experience between me and the service manager at my dealer here and we are just lost as can be with it so I am not too hopeful that someone from the factory will know anything different.

All I know is I buy my fuel the same place every other farmer does. A few that I have talked to with new tractors have also experienced problems. I am not aware of any as bad as mine but there have been some. The first time mine showed the symptoms the mechanics came out and found gell in my primary fuel filter. It was 105 degrees out that day and near 100 for a couple weeks before that. There's no excuse for gel in the fuel. It was just a little but still it was there. I have always kept PS fuel conditioner in my tank at the recommended levels. Every dealer I know of recommends it except mine. They have already told me once it can void my warranty. That better not happen. Every other new holland dealer recommends fuel conditioner. No specific brands though. It's been blamed on my fuel though ever since the problem developed and unless there is a very widespread problem with newer tractors and ULSD then I just can't see how mine is having problems with it.

I'm trying to come at this problem from a different angle now and gather some data on other peoples problems. If there has been anything at all go wrong on yours that you can directly place blame on ulsd for then please let me know.

/ Problems with ULSD #2  
From what I understand. The ULSD can loosen up gum,solvents in a tank or vehicle that has previously been using LSD or offroad fuel. The storage life of ULSD isn't as long as LSD because the newer fuel is less stabile. You have to ask your suppiler what additives if any are added to the ULSD. Synthetic additives are suppose to be better then organic additives. My 6.5 chevy and my Freightliner seem to run ok on it. Fuel leaks can also develop in a vehicle that had LSD in it before and more frequent filter problems until system is clean or used to the ULSD. I only ran the ULSD in both of my tractors , but they have the tier iii or iv engine which is suppose to be designed for the newer emissions. plowking

/ Problems with ULSD
I'm not sure what tier level mine is but it was built in June 07. It should be ready for ULSD you would think. It is built overseas but this country requires imported diesel engines to be ready for the 07 emission standards right?

/ Problems with ULSD #4  
WTA:

I always ran ULSD in my tractor, but I agree with plowking. My biggest complaint is the clouding up and gelling that ocurred at 17 degrees F two years ago that led to tractor shut down. I was ranting and raving here at TBN for some time at the time with many others from the NE and northern tier states who had the same problems. I now use a "double shot" of Power Service (White Bottle) as recommended for winter use as well as a "single shot" during the rest of the year. I did not have any problems this year, but that may be due to the fact that my high volume dealer was running a 50% kerosene mix in his tank. Jay

/ Problems with ULSD #6  
My fuel consumption is way up on my New Holland TN65 since using ULSD; the LSD gave me much less fuel consumption. I hear this from other farmers and dealers as well.

We're getting hit both ways: increased price, decreased fuel mileage.

/ Problems with ULSD #8  
I said this before and I still believe it. They (whoever they are) is blending diesel with Biodiesel and calling it low sulfur and ultra low sulfur. Low sulfur is B5+ and ultra low is B20.
Bio diesel is low in sulfur, high in cost to make, Btu is lower, and clouds up and gells at a higher temp. They are just pulling our leg and one of mine is a foot longer and they said that's ok we well just start on the other leg. I sure would like to know who is They and how many are there.
I think if you put 2 & 2 together you well see it doesn't = 4. Just read jbrumberg post one of many saying the same thing.

Lee

/ Problems with ULSD #9  
I have not seen a mpg decrease on my truck with ULSD.

Its hard to tell with the tractor since I just dump 5 gallons into the tank. But I don't think it using anymore fuel with ULSD.

I hand calculate my milage on the truck with every fillup. My mpg has not changed. This time of year with just trips to work I will get 20.5 to 21.0 mpg. 21.0 mpg has only happened once. :D I think I was on track to make 21.0 on this tank of fuel but I had to try into town and then into the city. That cost me a couple of tenths. :D:D

Later,
Dan

/ Problems with ULSD #10  
Leejohn said:
I said this before and I still believe it. They (whoever they are) is blending diesel with Biodiesel and calling it low sulfur and ultra low sulfur. Low sulfur is B5+ and ultra low is B20.
Bio diesel is low in sulfur, high in cost to make, Btu is lower, and clouds up and gells at a higher temp. They are just pulling our leg and one of mine is a foot longer and they said that's ok we well just start on the other leg. I sure would like to know who is They and how many are there.
I think if you put 2 & 2 together you well see it doesn't = 4. Just read jbrumberg post one of many saying the same thing.

Lee

I think you have the sulfur content terminology and biodiesel terminology a little mixed up. B5 and B20 have nothing to do with the sulfur content of fuel. B5 and B20 refer to the amount of biodiesel blended with regular diesel fuel. B5 fuel consist of 5% biodiesel and 95% regular diesel, B20 consist of 20% biodiesel and 80% regular diesel fuel. ULSD (ultra low sulfur diesel) and LSD (low sulfur diesel) refer to the amount of sulfur in the fuel. ULSD fuel has no more than 15 PPM (parts per million) and LSD fuel has no more than 500 PPM of sulfur.