Kohler 20hp in a Terramite - Synthetic?

/ Kohler 20hp in a Terramite - Synthetic? #1  

Chevy Guy

I have an older Terramite T5C with a Kohler 20hp twin. I have been using it quite a bit lately and in the hot weather I was wondering if it might be a good idea to run synthetic in it? I run the engine a full throttle most of the time as its a bit underpowered.

Anyone have any thoughts? The engine runs OK and I have no issues with it, just want a little added security.

Thanks.

/ Kohler 20hp in a Terramite - Synthetic? #2  
I assume aircooled? In Wisconsin, just run 30W.
Bob

/ Kohler 20hp in a Terramite - Synthetic? #3  
Doc_Bob said:
I assume aircooled? In Wisconsin, just run 30W.
Bob

I'm not sure of the Model of the Kohler, but the Kohlers with OHV, require 10W-30. In response to the original question, Yes you can run syn oil. My Miller TB has a twin Onan 20hp...as cheap insurance I run Amsoil 15-40 syn. Runs great. NOTE: Its an L-head engine, hence the oil weights. I have a lawn tractor with 20hp Kohler V-twin that I run 10-30 Castrol dino in...no issues after about 5 years...BobG in VA

/ Kohler 20hp in a Terramite - Synthetic?
According to the manual I have it recommends 10-30 for anything above freezing.

Last edited:
   / Kohler 20hp in a Terramite - Synthetic? #5  
I run 10w - 30w synthetic in mine. May be a waste of money but I run it anyway. What do you use your terramite for? I use mine for personal use kind of a lazy mans shovel. It is a great front end loader and the backhoe works OK, not as well as a excuvator but OK once you get the hang of it. I bought a 39" grave digger bucket with no teeth for mine to clean out ditches and smooth out high spots. big dan

/ Kohler 20hp in a Terramite - Synthetic?
I'm doing some landscaping, serious fill dirt moving and leveling and some drain work/trenching. So far its been OK, just a bit underpowered. The backhoe stops as soon as a decent root or rock is hit, you can dig around it up I was expecting a bit more "raw power". I love the loader too, it works well.