Hydraulic oil and Rotella??

/ Hydraulic oil and Rotella?? #1  

WesinTx

This is my first time to post on the Forum. I have spent alot of time reading and trying to learn as much as I can, and the Forum has been very helpful.
I am afraid I mixed 1 Quart of Rotella in my Hydraulic oil tank. Is this going to be a major issue? Do I need to drain the Hydraulic oil and change the filter??
The tratcor is a Mahindra 4530 with 39 hours. Sure appreciate your help guys.

/ Hydraulic oil and Rotella?? #2  
carefully drain the oil keeping it clean, throw away the tractor and put the drained oil in a new tractor and you should be fine.

/ Hydraulic oil and Rotella?? #3  
^^^^ Now thats funny right there !

I wouldn't worry about a quart of oil being mixed in.

/ Hydraulic oil and Rotella??
Thanks, that is what I thought, about the oil that is :)
It also has a 1/4'' thick belly pan that covers the entire bottom, and there are no holes cut in it for any of the drains?? Now I can wait till it gets a little cooler to drop that, and cut the drain holes.

/ Hydraulic oil and Rotella?? #5  
Some hyd systems use 30w engine oil... I think you will be -FINE-

soundguy

/ Hydraulic oil and Rotella?? #6  
I have been posting on issues related to hydraulic fluids as you can see. I can tell you about a conversation I had with the tech staff at Shell today. One of the things they told me is that most hydrualic fluids today are non-foaming...and a lot of different products will work ok, but one thing not to do is mix them becasue it can cause the fluid to foam...which as I understand it is not good.

I error on the side of caution, and I don't necessarily disagree with the others that have said its ok...especially Soundguy who has been very helpful to many on this board...but I am just saying, if it were me I would change it. A lot cheaper than rebuild, and if your tractor is still under warranty, they might claim the mix voided it.

You did not say what kind of Rotella you put in it, i.e., straight SAE 20 or 15w40, if it is motor oil or hydrualic oil. I am assuming you meant some kind of engine oil. Either way, with 39 hrs, I would change it and the filter.

Again...thats just me and one opinion.

/ Hydraulic oil and Rotella?? #7  
If anything fails with that one quart of Rotella in there, it was going to fail anyway.

/ Hydraulic oil and Rotella?? #8  
I have to agree.. 1qt mixed in to how many other qts? I wouldn't even blink over this sort of thing. I've had to add 30w engine oil to a hyd system just to get home before ( leaky line on loader on the road.. had to fill up with jiffy store engine oil ).. changed it out at usual intervals... etc.

To the original poster... if this is causing you any sleep loss.. it's your wallet.. change it if it makes the warm fuzzy feelings come back!

soundguy

/ Hydraulic oil and Rotella?? #9  
Yeap...I agree with these guys and again it is just my opinion...why...becasuse 99.9% of the time they are probably correct, but I'm the guy that is the .1%...just my luck I guess.

/ Hydraulic oil and Rotella??
Thanks for all the input. I'm just going to leave things as they are. If I start having problems, I'll change it at that time. Just felt kinda dumb for not paying attention to what I was doing.