Synthetic oil change Jeep wrangler

/ Synthetic oil change Jeep wrangler #1  

deereman64

Silver Member
I know this isn't a jeep forum but you guys know more than most. I bought a new Jeep wrangler in January of this year. The idiot light informed me that I needed to change my oil at 2750 and now at 5750. The oil recommended is 5w-20 but it seems to me that the frequency is high and decided to go with synthetic. The question is given the short distance on the oil change light should I change the synthetic oil more frequently, say every 6000 miles?

/ Synthetic oil change Jeep wrangler #2  
deereman64 said:
I know this isn't a jeep forum but you guys know more than most. I bought a new Jeep wrangler in January of this year. The idiot light informed me that I needed to change my oil at 2750 and now at 5750. The oil recommended is 5w-20 but it seems to me that the frequency is high and decided to go with synthetic. The question is given the short distance on the oil change light should I change the synthetic oil more frequently, say every 6000 miles?

You can change dino oil at 6k. Just depends on your driving habits and your wallet. Change your air filter a little more often to!

/ Synthetic oil change Jeep wrangler #3  
Something to ponder. You are doing things based on the idiot light.
Another thing to ponder. How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

/ Synthetic oil change Jeep wrangler
remove his suspenders. The reason I reacted to the light was

a) it rings every time I start the car (as an aside to remove the signal you have to turn the ignition part way and depress the accelerator pedal three times slowly.Who knew.... not the car manual)

b) I bought a life long protection on car parts and was concerned that they might be able to track the monitoring system and thereby negate the warranty.

Last edited:
   / Synthetic oil change Jeep wrangler #5  
Sorry deereman, I had to. I used to be normal, but I feel much better now.

/ Synthetic oil change Jeep wrangler #6  
deereman64 said:

Interesting, I have a new Durango that just exhibited this. I've had it for 6 months and don't drive it much but at 2700 miles it started telling me I needed to change the oil. The oil looks like maple syrup and I don't drive the car hard at all.

After reading through the owners manual I found how to clear it (it's hidden in a less than logical place in the manual) you can clear the oil change warning by turning the key to the key on - engine off position (without starting the car) and fully depressing and releasing the brake pedal three times within a 10 second period.

Your Jeep may work the same way and AFAIK it would be hard for your warranty to be voided since they would not know if the oil had actually been changed or not.

There are laws that protect us from vehicle manufacturers trying to force us to use their repair and service facilities.

/ Synthetic oil change Jeep wrangler #7  
deereman64 said:
a) it rings every time I start the car (as an aside to remove the signal you have to turn the ignition part way and depress the accelerator pedal three times slowly.Who knew.... not the car manual)

Whoops sorry for repeating this in my reply - I missed it.

/ Synthetic oil change Jeep wrangler #8  
I don't have an olm on my mazda & it's not under warranty ( which may be the key word here). I use Amsoil synthetic (3 qts with filter) & I change my oil at 8500 miles per Oil Analyzers

/ Synthetic oil change Jeep wrangler #9  
kenmac said:
I don't have an olm on my mazda & it's not under warranty ( which may be the key word here). I use Amsoil synthetic (3 qts with filter) & I change my oil at 8500 miles per Oil Analyzers
Interesting, I run synthetic [mobil 1] in both my Ford Explorer and Disco.. and run at LEAST 10,000 -15,000 miles between oil changes.
Both are over 100,000 miles with NO engine issues, and still run like they are brand new.

/ Synthetic oil change Jeep wrangler #10  
ford exployer has larger capacity than 3 quarts.Ie, more oil reserve.. Like I mentioned this is per oil analysis. Have you had an analysis done to see if you are driving beyond your oil's ability ?? If not, you could drive 30,000 miles & still have no issues but, your oil could be used up