additives for low sulfur diesel

/ additives for low sulfur diesel #1  

Mosey

Veteran Member
Tractor
2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.
It's my understanding that diesel fuel these days is low sulfur diesel and it has less lubricity. How many of you are using an additive to compensate and what are you using? Where do you get it, how much do you use, and how much does it cost?

/ additives for low sulfur diesel #2  
Mosey said:
It's my understanding that diesel fuel these days is low sulfur diesel and it has less lubricity. How many of you are using an additive to compensate and what are you using? Where do you get it, how much do you use, and how much does it cost?
Power service in the white bottle.
Wall mart
Go mart
TSC.
32 oz per 55 gallons.
or 3 oz in a 5 gallon can.
About 6 or 7 dollars a quart.

/ additives for low sulfur diesel #3  
Mosey said:
Power service in the white bottle.
I use it the year round in all diesel low sulfur or otherwise.

/ additives for low sulfur diesel #4  
Bio diesel, even a 5% blend, has better lubricating properties than mineral diesel fuel with high (relatively, although they were already calling it "Low") sulfur fuel.
Not that there is a NEED for a lube additive in ULSD, but the additives companies sell additives - its what they DO.

/ additives for low sulfur diesel #5  
According to some tests 2% biodiesel beats any commercial lube....I buy B99 and put about 3 ounces in each gallon to make my 2% since I can't buy 2% anywhere. I last paid about $5 a gallon for the B99, so it comes out to about 12 cents a gallon extra to treat his way.....
In the past I mostly used PowerService in the silver bottle and still throw some of that in every now and then for its supposed cleaning properties.

/ additives for low sulfur diesel #7  
I do not like Power Service based on issues I have posted in the past.

/ additives for low sulfur diesel #8  
I don't use anything in the diesel for my 2004 tractor nor my 1983 car. Additives are a waste of money unless you have a problem. Used Chevron Red Line (or is it Techron?) twice in the life of my 1983 to fix a pinging problem at constant speed.

I've some of PS white container stuff in case I have a fuel gelling problem in winter. If so, I'll add either some of it or a bunch of kerosene (after changing the filter out). Got both.

Ralph

/ additives for low sulfur diesel #9  
I wouldn't say all additives are a complete waste of money, of course some are better than others. In fact in the Spicer test several commercial additives were shown to make the lubricity worse than plain fuel, so yeah that is definitely a waste of money, one pays for the additive and it makes things worse!

I've never carefully compared fuel mileage with and without the DieselKleen I ran for years and still run sometime, but I can say the motor definitely sounds different and seems smoother with it. PowerService claims your fuel mileage goes up enough to pay for the additive, don't know, never had enough controlled conditions to say for sure.
In my example earlier about the bioD as an additive it doesn't cost hardly anything past the normal fuel price, figure if I add 2% bioD as a lubricity enhancer that 2% is also burned as fuel, so my mileage per gallon of pump diesel goes up 2% (because of the added 2% volume) making it pretty near a wash, and I get better lubricity :D

/ additives for low sulfur diesel #10  
Stay away from Power Service. Unless you have water issues.

I use Shaffers bio diesel additive. In tests it has been proven to be one of the best to add lubricosity. I know i am getting more than kerosine:D