Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.

Default additives for low sulfur diesel

It's my understanding that diesel fuel these days is low sulfur diesel and it has less lubricity. How many of you are using an additive to compensate and what are you using? Where do you get it, how much do you use, and how much does it cost?
    Danny in Colorado, NH TC29D

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Default Re: additives for low sulfur diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey
    It's my understanding that diesel fuel these days is low sulfur diesel and it has less lubricity. How many of you are using an additive to compensate and what are you using? Where do you get it, how much do you use, and how much does it cost?
    Power service in the white bottle.
    Wall mart
    Go mart
    TSC.
    32 oz per 55 gallons.
    or 3 oz in a 5 gallon can.
    About 6 or 7 dollars a quart.
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey
    Power service in the white bottle.
    I use it the year round in all diesel low sulfur or otherwise.
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Elite Member

Bio diesel, even a 5% blend, has better lubricating properties than mineral diesel fuel with high (relatively, although they were already calling it "Low") sulfur fuel.
    Not that there is a NEED for a lube additive in ULSD, but the additives companies sell additives - its what they DO.

According to some tests 2% biodiesel beats any commercial lube....I buy B99 and put about 3 ounces in each gallon to make my 2% since I can't buy 2% anywhere. I last paid about $5 a gallon for the B99, so it comes out to about 12 cents a gallon extra to treat his way.....
    In the past I mostly used PowerService in the silver bottle and still throw some of that in every now and then for its supposed cleaning properties.

Tractor
    Kubota RTV 900, JD 740,Kioti DK 40 with KL401 loader .

Good read here. http://www.johnfjensen.com/diesel_fuel_additive_te... link not working.Google spicer lubricity test.coobie
    Kioti DK40se hst cab with KL401 loader,Kubota RTV 900,John deere X740,Kioti 73 inch tiller.Ingersoll 4020 3pt,troy bilt tiller,Billy goat brush cutter.

Banned

I do not like Power Service based on issues I have posted in the past.

Tractor
    JD 1025, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010

I don't use anything in the diesel for my 2004 tractor nor my 1983 car. Additives are a waste of money unless you have a problem. Used Chevron Red Line (or is it Techron?) twice in the life of my 1983 to fix a pinging problem at constant speed.

I've some of PS white container stuff in case I have a fuel gelling problem in winter. If so, I'll add either some of it or a bunch of kerosene (after changing the filter out). Got both.

Ralph
    The natural gardener
    God's original intent

I wouldn't say all additives are a complete waste of money, of course some are better than others. In fact in the Spicer test several commercial additives were shown to make the lubricity worse than plain fuel, so yeah that is definitely a waste of money, one pays for the additive and it makes things worse!

I've never carefully compared fuel mileage with and without the DieselKleen I ran for years and still run sometime, but I can say the motor definitely sounds different and seems smoother with it. PowerService claims your fuel mileage goes up enough to pay for the additive, don't know, never had enough controlled conditions to say for sure.
    In my example earlier about the bioD as an additive it doesn't cost hardly anything past the normal fuel price, figure if I add 2% bioD as a lubricity enhancer that 2% is also burned as fuel, so my mileage per gallon of pump diesel goes up 2% (because of the added 2% volume) making it pretty near a wash, and I get better lubricity

Tractor
    JD 5203, JD 3720, JD 4110, JD 445, IH 1586, IH 886, IH 404......

Stay away from Power Service. Unless you have water issues.

I use Shaffers bio diesel additive. In tests it has been proven to be one of the best to add lubricosity. I know i am getting more than kerosine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast