HOW LONG WILL DIESEL LAST.

/ HOW LONG WILL DIESEL LAST. #2  
hi LBrown59, Diesel Fuel has a recommended "Shelf Life" of 18 too 24 months. You should be fine. If storage is planned for longer than, lets say 12 months, I will recommend adding a fuel stabilizer.

My opinion is that very old diesel has a build up of "Varnish", a gummy and hardening substance that will clog and reduce the performance of any fuel system. It is best to avoid it use, some will say that old fuel will run (which it will), but Varnish deposits will occur. When fuels start turning into varnish, they will discolor and emit a very distinct odor.

/ HOW LONG WILL DIESEL LAST.
hi LBrown59, Diesel Fuel has a recommended "Shelf Life" of 18 too 24 months. You should be fine* If storage is planned for longer than, lets say 12 months, I will recommend adding a fuel stabilizer.
I get 55 gallon delivered at a time and add a quart of PS to the 55 gallon drum at that time .

/ HOW LONG WILL DIESEL LAST. #4  
If you bought on road ULSD, it'll likely keep MUCH longer than older diesel fuels because most of the reactive compounds have been refined out of it, along with most of the sulfur.

We stored our old Benz for 4 1/2 years while we were in Singapore. The fuel got a bit brown. Had to put some Chevron Techron in the tank to stop constant speed pinging. Only other time I did this was right after we bought it after sitting on a showroom floor for a while. About 10-12 months later, one valve burned. Had to have a valve job. Doubt it was caused by the fuel, more likely a rust spot on an opened valve. They were supposed to have started the engine once/month. Doubt they did. The battery was dead, along with the seals in the AC compressor. Hydraulic clutch didn't want to work right away. Took a few strokes. That master cylinder had to be replaced (same as one used by the brakes).

Ralph

/ HOW LONG WILL DIESEL LAST. #5  
It will last a long time if you keep it cool and dry. Keep it out of the sun and minimize temperature fluctuations (which cause condensation to build up). Don't add anything that "increases cetane" as it can shorten the shelf life. You can add a stabilizer like PRI-D if you like.

/ HOW LONG WILL DIESEL LAST.
It will last a long time if you keep it cool and dry. Keep it out of the sun and minimize temperature fluctuations (which cause condensation to build up).
The pump drum hoses and everything else is in an enclosed car port with locked doors.
Soon as I can get/find a small storage building I want to relocate the whole rig/set up.

:cool:

/ HOW LONG WILL DIESEL LAST. #7  
I always add fuel stabilizer (stabil) to fuel in jugs. You probably should too. Then add a good biocide to keep the dreaded black goop from forming. It will be good for a long time like that.

jb

/ HOW LONG WILL DIESEL LAST. #8  
Until you burn it if stored in the dark.
larry