Fuel gelling?

/ Fuel gelling? #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
How cold does it have to get for diesel to gel?

Our winters are cool and wet with the lowest temps sometimes around 15 degrees, but usually the lowest are in the mid twenties.

I haven't had a problem with my diesel fuel gelling, even with a low of 16 degrees, but have heard it can happen. Am I likely to be surprised sometime?

What can I do to prevent it? Or do I need to worry about it?

/ Fuel gelling? #2  
A lot depends on the blend of diesel. Usually, #2 and #1 are mixed in the winter to help prevent gelling. Plus additives are usually already added to the fuel which help. Generally, around 15F you will probably start to get some wax crystal development. With your temperatures, which aren't that low, you probably could get by without any additional additives, but if it were me, I would add something which is designed to prevent gelling. Just read the label of the additive and will say anti-gelling or something to that effect. Lots of brands out there: Power Service, Stanadyne, Pri-D, Racor, etc....

I don't know if there is an exact number out there because there are too many variables.

/ Fuel gelling? #3  
The ONLY time I experienced diesel fuel gelling was on startup in Vermont at -22F.

All it takes is about 0.15% (that's 1.5 volume in 1000 volumes of fuel, about 5 cc in a gallon) of diesel fuel additive to keep it from gelling. Alternatively, about 30% kerosene will do it.

At your minimum temperatures, I doubt you'll ever experience it.

Ralph

/ Fuel gelling? #4  
I'm in the snow belt of Upstate NY and my fuel gelled back in 04 when I bought my tractor. The tractor was stored in an unheated garage and after a few days of less than 32 degrees F I couldn't get it started. I found the fuel had gelled and had to use a salamander to warm up the tractor in the garage and then got it started. Since then I either add Power Service additive or mix the diesel fuel with kerosene and haven't gelled since.

/ Fuel gelling? #5  
So here we see two vastly different experiences: one gelling at -22F and one gelling at just below 32F. There are too many variables. Age of the fuel, how much water is in solution, fuel formulation, refinery additives, etc....

That's why I say, to be safe, add some sort of anti-gelling additive so you don't have to worry.

/ Fuel gelling? #6  
Depends on the fuel. I have seen it gell in temps as high as the 40's and not until the -30's. The crude oil type used at the refinery to make it effects it, additives added by the fuel company effect it and there are blends like B5, B20 biodiesel and also winter blends where kerosene is blended with diesel fuel.

/ Fuel gelling? #7  
I wouldn't want to take a chance of it gelling. It is just a pain in the you know what to get it ungelled. I would add something like power service or other product just to be on the safe side.

/ Fuel gelling? #8  
I wouldn't want to take a chance of it gelling. It is just a pain in the you know what to get it ungelled. I would add something like power service or other product just to be on the safe side.
I dump a quart of PS white bottle in every 55 gallon drum.

/ Fuel gelling? #9  
I "used to" use Powerservice. It got me stuck on the side of the road too many times with gelled filters. I have switched to Howes Diesel Treat. Made in Canada and sold at truck stops (and farmfleet). Never had a problem since the switch. It also ungelled the kubota, it was cool watching the filter housing clear out after adding a slug of Howes and running the tractor. It was struggling to stay idling, and as the housing cleared it idle got better and soon all was well. What sold me was that I had treated the tractor fuel with a 2x dose of PS and it still gelled.

jb

/ Fuel gelling? #10  
I "used to" use Powerservice. It got me stuck on the side of the road too many times with gelled filters. I have switched to Howes Diesel Treat. Made in Canada and sold at truck stops (and farmfleet). Never had a problem since the switch. It also ungelled the kubota, it was cool watching the filter housing clear out after adding a slug of Howes and running the tractor. It was struggling to stay idling, and as the housing cleared it idle got better and soon all was well. What sold me was that I had treated the tractor fuel with a 2x dose of PS and it still gelled.

jb

Farm & Fleet just had it (Howe's) on sale a couple weeks back for something like $12.99 a gallon.

I bought one based upon your experience / advice.

If I gel-up this winter, I'm calling you for help!

:):):)