10W non-detergent oil

/ 10W non-detergent oil #1  

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
I have searched everywhere to find some plain old 10W non-detergent oil for my air compressor which sits in a nice cold barn. The air compressor maker says for below 32 degrees Fahrenheit, that is what I should use. Tonight it is 18 degrees and will be colder soon.

Any ideas?
Bob

/ 10W non-detergent oil #4  
You can pick up compressor oil at most places that sell compressors. Look for "compressor oil" not engine oil. Many of these are multiviscosity making them suitable for cold and hot temp operation.

/ 10W non-detergent oil #5  
Doc Bob, I went through the same search for my very large 32CFM compressor in the barn. I contacted Mobil, spoke with a product engineer, and after speaking with him, and him looking at the comparison between Mobil synthetic compressor oil, and their M1 either 10w-30, and 15w-50 engine oils. He recommended that I just use one of the engine oils. The oils were that close in his engineering spec book. He saved me some money, and time. The oil has been in the compressor since 1994, and has been fine. The compressor has a sight glass on the side so that I can see how much oil is in the compressor sump before firing it up. It has not be using oil at all. A concern for some when using synthetic oil in a compressor. Some times I fire it up and the barn temp is in the teens. The pressure gauge on the compressor seems to spike almost as fast as in the summer. Then the unloader valve closes after pressure is reached and the air begins to be compressed, and delivered to the tank. M1 flows extremely well at low temps, and gives outstanding protecting to connecting rod journals.:D Plus it is so readily obtainable.;)

/ 10W non-detergent oil
Tractor Supply has the 10W ND oil.
2 gallons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is the smallest amount.
Such is life.
Bob

/ 10W non-detergent oil #7  
Next time your in TSC look for Ingersoll Rand synthetic compressor oil. They sell it in pint and quart bottles and it's a multiviscosity oil.