clogged fuel filters in 05 Duramax.

/ clogged fuel filters in 05 Duramax. #11  
Get yourself some anti gel additive, if it gets down around 2 degree's again you will probably find yourself in the same bad situation. Gelled fuel. It's best to add additive with each fill up thru the coldest months of winter.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ clogged fuel filters in 05 Duramax.
I called the owner and he swore if I put in isopropel it will suspend the water. He insisted I got water in my tank somehow and was not his fuel. I put it in and have not had a problem in 600 mi. All that problem and only 2 bucks to fix it.Thanks everyone.

/ clogged fuel filters in 05 Duramax. #13  
I called the owner and he swore if I put in isopropel it will suspend the water. He insisted I got water in my tank somehow and was not his fuel. I put it in and have not had a problem in 600 mi. All that problem and only 2 bucks to fix it.Thanks everyone.

You did know that GM strictly forbids you to add any alcohol to the duramax diesels, right? It will allow the water to get to the injectors and cause damage to them. Additional of alcohol could be grounds for GM to void the injector/fuel system warranty. And yes, they are getting snitty about it with the current financial crisis.

You need to add only a product that will drop the water out of solution so it can be trapped in the fuel filter. That's why it has a drain and a WIF sensor (water in fuel).

/ clogged fuel filters in 05 Duramax. #14  
ALCOHOL is not good for any diesels. Check additive bottles to make sure they do not contain alcohol. That is the last thing you want to add to your fuel system.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ clogged fuel filters in 05 Duramax. #15  
ihhookem, I had similar problem twice on the same tank of fuel with my 02 Duramax . It's seen -45F without a problem but both problems occurred about 10F in March a few days apart, first with an old filter 3 miles from home, then with the new filter 100 yards from home. I had grabbed a propane torch for warming filter if necessary. Heated the new filter , regained the prime, & drove away. Our snowmobile trail groomer never leaves the shop without a propane torch. I suspected the station where I fuel got a batch of warm weather fuel a little early. Usually if you can get the engine & return fuel warmed up the filter problem will cure it's self. If your problem persists drain the filter into a small container & put in the freezer to see if it's gelling. MikeD74T

I didn't know it was bad for diesels. I won't use it again. It happened today so I put a little in but I won't anymore. I unscrewed the screw on the bottom of the filter and nothing came out. I should have given it a pump but didn't. The little that came out was diesel so I don't know what to think. I hope I didn't ruin the injectors. The funny thing is I ran in the store for 15 min. put in the isopropel, started it up and it was fine. I just don't know what to think.

/ clogged fuel filters in 05 Duramax. #17  
I didn't know it was bad for diesels. I won't use it again. It happened today so I put a little in but I won't anymore. I unscrewed the screw on the bottom of the filter and nothing came out. I should have given it a pump but didn't. The little that came out was diesel so I don't know what to think. I hope I didn't ruin the injectors. The funny thing is I ran in the store for 15 min. put in the isopropel, started it up and it was fine. I just don't know what to think.

Go to Farm Fleet and buy 3-4 of the large jugs of "Howes Diesel Treat" use a triple dose initially, then a double dose then stick with the winter rate. It will protect from water in fuel, gel and help run better with higher cetane rating. I've had much better luck with it than the powerservice junk that has left me on the side of the road.

You unscrewed the water drain and had nothing come out ? Not even diesel? That means you have trapped water that is frozen. Drop the filter tomorrow and put on a new one.

When you added the iso, the water went into solution and was injected. The injectors probably didn't see the humor in the situation.

/ clogged fuel filters in 05 Duramax. #18  
I believe on the Duramax fuel filter you have to open the vent at the top of the assembly to drain the filter.That's why nothing came out.Very interesting fuel system.No fuel pump in the tank(except G series vans ).There is a low pressure pump that pulls the fuel through the FICM(fuel injector control module)to cool the module.Then the high pressure part of the pump pressurize the fuel rail with the fuel pressure-injection pressure increasing with the RPM's of the engine-the ECM then reduces the pulse-width of the injectors to compensate for the higher fuel pressure.Probably why I'm happy with my '93 6.5 Chevy diesel pickup.

/ clogged fuel filters in 05 Duramax. #19  
No, it will drain.

I opened the drain this morning and pushed the primer, just diesel. I think I will be ok but won't ever put in isopropyl again. This is the firdt time I ever had bad fuel and wont ever buy from that station again.