What type of fluid for log splitter?

/ What type of fluid for log splitter? #1  

Jeff244

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK 65C
I recently got an old log splitter. I want to change the hyd. fluid since it has been sitting outside unused for around 10 years. It has red fluid in it now which I assume is transmission fluid. Would it be OK to use tractor hydraulic fluid instead? I have plenty of it and it's a lot cheaper than the atf.

Thanks,
Jeff

/ What type of fluid for log splitter? #2  
I recently got an old log splitter. I want to change the hyd. fluid since it has been sitting outside unused for around 10 years. It has red fluid in it now which I assume is transmission fluid. Would it be OK to use tractor hydraulic fluid instead? I have plenty of it and it's a lot cheaper than the atf.

Thanks,
Jeff

I've always used regular auto trannie fluid, in recent years whatever Walmart had cheapest.
I don't think there is any difference that matters between Dextron, Type-F, or the "formulated for Chryco" stuff in this application.

I don't see any issue with using tractor hydraulic oil either, especially if you have it around or it is cheap.

/ What type of fluid for log splitter? #3  
I've been using THF in my splitter for over 10 years and it's worked just fine.

/ What type of fluid for log splitter?
Thanks for the quick replies,

The hyd. fluid I have is about 1/2 the cost of the atf so I will use that instead. But now I don't have a reason to go to TSC.:(

Thanks again,
Jeff

/ What type of fluid for log splitter? #5  
I use AW32 hydraulic oil in mine. The reason many use ATF in splitters, tractors, and snow plows is it shows up good in the snow, usually when most are using these items. Makes for quick detection of a leak. I have also seen blue tinted hydro fluid for snow plows that really shows up good in the snow.

Chris.

/ What type of fluid for log splitter? #6  
Most likely AW32 / ISO 32 viscosity hydraulic fluid would be the correct one.

Diamondpilot - You bring up a good point about the color of some of these fluids, it is indeed added to make leak detection easier and sometimes as a visual indicator of what product is being used. If you want a colored oil, any oil you can easily and safely make your own. The dye's used are simply a paraffin based dye. The cheapest way to buy this type of dye is to buy what is called candle makers dye, same stuff only in much smaller quantities. A little goes a LONG way so the eye dropper bottles candle suppliers have are perfect for end users who want to color their lubricants. Here is a supplier I have been using for years. Liquid Dyes

/ What type of fluid for log splitter? #7  
Actually the reason for ATF in equipment is that it has an additive to keep it from thickening at sub freezing temps.

/ What type of fluid for log splitter? #8  
Use what you have. I use the universal stuff from Tractor supply in my splitter and old tractors.

Dan

/ What type of fluid for log splitter? #9  
Well this is my experience on this,had MF 150 w/200 loader cessna pump 22gal pm, hyd were slow in cold weather with uto changed to aw 32 had a lot of this little bit better but not much,changed over to dextron 3 ran excellent in the coldest temp.
Had wood splitter that came with atf in it changed the oil in it to aw 32 ran ok in summer when it got cold out the auto return did not work all the time when it got to a lower temp I could not start (pull start)it.oil to thick replaced w/ atf never had any more problems.

/ What type of fluid for log splitter? #10  
1 or the other , have used both . BUT do NOT mix the 2 . Although it makes a pretty cool effect when it is foaming and bubbling out of the air bleed opening .:)

Fred H.