Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M8540HD ROPS

Default Re: Kubota engine oil recommendation

The kubota 10W-30 diesel engine oil I bought from my dealer had an API CI-4 rating. The info on the Kubota website specifically says not to use CJ-4.

Non-EGR:
    API Classification
    CF, CF-4, CG-4,
    CH-4, or CI-4
    (do not use CJ-4)

External EGR:
    API Classification
    CF,CI-4 (do NOT use
    CF-4, CG-4, CH-4,
    CJ-4)

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L 3940

Quote Originally Posted by piller View Post
    The kubota 10W-30 diesel engine oil I bought from my dealer had an API CI-4 rating. The info on the Kubota website specifically says not to use CJ-4.
    I addressed this previuosly with a Kubota technician. He said that CJ-4 rated oil is just fine and the web site and manuals will be updated as quickly as any large corporation can move...which he said was "pretty slowly".
    The warning on the web site and manuals was due to the introduction of low sulpher fuels and the concern early on for possible injector issues. He said that low sulpher fuels are widely used now and the new CJ-4 oil addresses their earlier concerns. They just have not made the written or web site changes. He also said this was an "unofficial" comment to me because they have to stay with what is in print for legal reasons.
    Don't worry about CJ-4 spec oils. They will work perfectly well with off-road OR on-road low sulpher diesel.
    Most diesel oils are now CJ-4 rated and any that aren't are soon to be sold out of inventory.
    Hope this helps.
    Grand L3940 HST, Wallenstein BX62 chipper, Woods GTR72 tiller, Woods BH90-X backhoe, 724 FEL, forks, 1000lb PTO rotary spreader, Woods PRD8400 finish mower, Leinbach 7' landscape rake, United 7' box blade, Pequea 80 bushel manure spreader, Woods 7' Brush Hog.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830HST

A cynical person might think kubota wants to use up their stock of Kubota brand oil that doesn't have CJ-4 on the label, and then it will be all right to use it when their bottles are labled that way.
    -Jim

I have a B7200 HST Diesel (used). I can't seem to find how much oil the crankcase holds with filter change. Can anyone tell me?
    Michael

Gold Member
    Tractor
    ALL J-D's: 955, X595, 6x4 Diesel Gator, CX Compact Gator, 310D Loader/Backhoe (4x4, turbo, extend-a-hoe)

Quote Originally Posted by jimainiac View Post
    A cynical person might think kubota wants to use up their stock of Kubota brand oil that doesn't have CJ-4 on the label, and then it will be all right to use it when their bottles are labled that way.
    Fortunately, there are no cynics here!!

R-WEST

"live so the preacher doesn't have to tell lies at your funeral"

955, X595, CX Compact Gator, 6x4 Diesel Gator,
    310D Loader/Backhoe (All J-D's)

Tractor
    Kubota BX2230

Quote Originally Posted by Happyman View Post
    At 150 hours I switched from 10w-30 kubota oil to 5w-40 Rotella Synthetic. I'm sticking with this until spring. Then I'll go with the 15w-40 Rotella. The kubota tech I spoke with about 2 months ago said it was just fine to do that...off the record.
    I use the Rotella 5w-40 Synthetic year around in northeastern PA. Seems to be a good fit. Run it in the motorcycle, push mower, and power washer too.
    Regards,

Matthew

Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post
    I use the Rotella 5w-40 Synthetic year around in northeastern PA. Seems to be a good fit. Run it in the motorcycle, push mower, and power washer too.
    Not too jack the thread here, but would it be better to run a 5w40 or 15w40 that is CJ-4 than to run a 10w30 that is not? Our 1523 was built June 2007, and I cannot seem to find a 10w30 synthetic that is CJ-4. MF calls for 10w30, but a minimum of CC, guess they need to update the manuals.
    Thanks,

Will

I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

I would run the 5w-40 CJ-4. If you can find the Shell Rotella T Synthetic, at something like Walmart or another discount store, I don't think you'll find a better bargain for a quality product. If you were down south, I might suggest something like the 15w-, but in Ontario, you should be good with the 5w-40 year-round.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    ALL J-D's: 955, X595, 6x4 Diesel Gator, CX Compact Gator, 310D Loader/Backhoe (4x4, turbo, extend-a-hoe)

I cannot seem to find a 10w30 synthetic that is CJ-4. MF calls for 10w30, but a minimum of CC, guess they need to update the manuals.
    I think Amsoil makes one.

I'd just use Rotella T 10-30 or RTS 5-40 and not worry about it.
    R-WEST

"live so the preacher doesn't have to tell lies at your funeral"

955, X595, CX Compact Gator, 6x4 Diesel Gator,
    310D Loader/Backhoe (All J-D's)

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M8540HD ROPS

I changed my oil last weekend with kubota 10W-30. The new kubota 1 gallon 10W-30 oil container has a slightly different shape than the old container. The part numbers are the same however the new oil includes the CI-4 Plus API rating whereas the old container does not (it only goes to CI-4).
    Kubota M8540HD ROPS, LA1353 FEL

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast