Kubota engine oil recommendation

/ Kubota engine oil recommendation #32  
Some people say go to a long haul truck stop and use what they sell there, most often it will be Shell Rotela 15-40 or Chevron Delo 400 15-40. People in Florida use straight 30wt in Kubota diesels.

/ Kubota engine oil recommendation #33  
Kubota now states CJ-4 is acceptable for Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) Fuel (0.015%/15 ppm or Less) on their site:

Kubota Tractor USA - Lubricants Schedule

Yes, but as I read the info right at the top of that page it seems to say that those are generic recommendations and that specific models may have different requirements. The Kubota M59 manual doesn't fit that page at all.
ugh.....rScotty

/ Kubota engine oil recommendation #34  
My BX2200 runs great year round on Shell Rotella 5W-40 sythetic.

I use Baldwin oil filters too.

/ Kubota engine oil recommendation #35  
Yes, but as I read the info right at the top of that page it seems to say that those are generic recommendations and that specific models may have different requirements. The Kubota M59 manual doesn't fit that page at all.
ugh.....rScotty
rScotty....you're ok. Any CJ-4 oil is fine in your machine. Not to worry!

/ Kubota engine oil recommendation #36  
There are a lot of lubricants on the market that will provide great protection.
You have to decide for your self what works in your area.
I live in Alabama, the weather is worm, so I use Chevron Delo 400, 30w
year around. We in the Auto, Truck repair line, would never use anything
less than 15w-40 because of the heat and pounding a engine gets. If your
using a less viscosity like 10w or 5w and your engine is rattling or noisy on
start up, then the viscosity your using isn't heavy enough, and most likely
the damage is already done. I know this is a sore and missunderstood subject
so this may help some. Most any diesel type oil for a diesel will lube all the
engine parts well, except for the crankshaft. This is a question I used on
interviews when hireing a new tech. What is the actual bearings on a crankshaft? No one gave the correct answer. You have main inserts, and rod
inserts. They are spacer shims for the correct tolerance. The actual bearings
on a crankshaft is.....engine oil under pressure. The crankshaft floats in a
pressureized layer of engine oil. When a engine gets to operating temp then
the oil is somewhat thinner, so the thinner or lower number viscosity your
using means you have less crankshaft protection. You have to have viscosity
for cushion of parts, along with high lubrication, two different items.
The first number on the oil is the viscosity, W is for winter flow.
I wont go any further with this because of the different opinions of this
subject. Hope this helps clear up some wrong thinking, and proves to those
that are on the correct track.

/ Kubota engine oil recommendation #37  
rScotty....you're ok. Any CJ-4 oil is fine in your machine. Not to worry!

Hey Happyman, that's a nice sentiment, and I thank you for it.... but are you sure? Why do you say that? What are you basing it one?

And if it's fine in my machine, then why does my Kubota owner's manual specifically say on the page about engine oils for the M59 that "CJ-4 oils cannot be used in this tractor".

Enjoy! rScotty

/ Kubota engine oil recommendation #38  
Hey Happyman, that's a nice sentiment, and I thank you for it.... but are you sure? Why do you say that? What are you basing it one?

And if it's fine in my machine, then why does my Kubota owner's manual specifically say on the page about engine oils for the M59 that "CJ-4 oils cannot be used in this tractor".

Enjoy! rScotty
The manuals have to address a very broad range of circumstances; weather, operating conditions, fuel types, etc. The manual of my 2008 L3940 says the same thing as yours. I contacted an engineer at Kubota and he said that any CJ-4 oil is fine in my machine, and that 5w-40 Rotella synthetic will work just fine for me. Some types of bio fuels and other types of "custom mixes" could cause some injector issues over the long run, according to the engineer. And he emphasized "could", not "will". He said as long as I run regular low sulpher, ultra low sulpher or "off road" fuels there is no problem. He said, off the record, that the specs in their manuals and on their web site need to be updated but due to corporate politics and layers of buracracy (sp?) it hasn't been done yet. I took his comments to mean I was not hurting my engine with a CJ-4 rated oil.
I know there are lots of discussions and opinions on engine oil but I found the answers that work for me. Others may feel differently and that's fine. Each to their own.
As long as my dealer knows what I run and he is comfortable with it than I know any engine issues that might come up in the future will not be blamed on the oil or fuel I use.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it :D

/ Kubota engine oil recommendation #39  
the manuals are SOOO 1990's!

/ Kubota engine oil recommendation #40  
Just checked my manual for my 2009 B3200 HST and It recommends 10-30 or 15-40 year round. It does give you a guide for outside temps for your choice of what oil to use. Don't know if this helps but that's what my 2009 manual says.
DevilDog