Kubota engine oil recommendation

/ Kubota engine oil recommendation #1  

piller

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540HD ROPS
I've got a new Kubota M8540 tractor and was unsure which engine oil to use so I submitted a question using the kubota web site.

I received a call today from a service representative at Kubota headquarters in Atlanta, GA (I'm in Tennessee). I was told that I should use 10W-30 engine oil which has the CE or CF API rating. I was told not to use 15W-40. I was told that I do not need to use Kubota brand oil, I would not void my warranty by using another oil as long as it had the correct weight and API rating.

My operators manual says 10W-30 or 10W-40 with the CD, CE, or CF ratings. What is interesting is that I contacted two local kubota dealers and they both said to use 15W-40 which contradicts the operators manual and the advice from kubota headquarters.

So I went today and bought 3 gallons of Kubota 10W-30 engine oil, it has the proper API CF rating, actually it goes up to CI-4 I believe.

I was also told by Kubota headquarters not to use synthetic oil in the new motor, it had something to do with the rings. Kubota headquarters did not see much value in using synthetic oil but said if I really wanted to use it I should wait until the engine has 150 to 200 hours on it. I think I'll just stay with the standard oils which apparently are very good quality these days.

I have the hydraulic shuttle wet clutch transmission on my tractor and was told by kubota headquarters that I should use the Kubota SUDT fluid for the transmission/hydraulic fluid.

Finally Kubota headquarters also said I should use heavy weight 80W-90 gear oil in the front axle instead of the SUDT fluid. He gave me a tip on changing the front axle fluid, he said to open the drain holes at each of the outer hub gear assemblies and drain the fluid and then to use the front end loader to lift the front end a little and then to push down on the tire/wheel to tilt the axle to get more fluid to drain out.

/ Kubota engine oil recommendation #2  
I have a L-4400, a couple of months ago I went on their web site and saw that CJ4 oil wasn't recommended, emailed them and received a reply that said the CJ4 oil was ok. They was a post here about it.

I've wanted to try the 5w-40 oil but my dealer didn't recommend it, said they only use 15w-40, when it's cold (below 40f the engine is very loud).
My manuel states 10w-30 or 10w-40 over 77f.

So I emailed Kubota and just recieved this email, Kubota does not recommend 5w-40 in the L-4400 but 10w-30 or 15w-40 is approved.

I wish Kubota and all their people would get on the same page, not much unity between anyone except they all seem to think the 10w-30 is ok below 77f.

I guess at this point I'll use the 10-30 in winter and 15-40 in summer but it would be nice to be able to use one grade of oil.

/ Kubota engine oil recommendation #3  
Hi..

I am in southeast texas, so temperature is a factor here..
My dealer recommends straight 30w so that is what i have
been using, but again not much cold weather here...

/ Kubota engine oil recommendation
I agree, Kubota and their dealers need to get on the same page and update their API rating and engine oil weight specifications. The guy at Kubota headquarters I spoke with told me that for my new engine and cold weather I should definitely use 10W-30 and not 15W-40.

/ Kubota engine oil recommendation #5  
Darn, I just put in 15w40 kubota oil per dealer recommendation here in Sunny Vermont.

/ Kubota engine oil recommendation #6  
I find it strange that they dont recommend the 15w40 - I thought that it was the 'standard' (ie most commonly used) oil recommended for almost all diesel engines - it seems that most ppl recognize 15w40 as being a diesel oil right off..

Brian

/ Kubota engine oil recommendation #7  
Darn, I just put in 15w40 kubota oil per dealer recommendation here in Sunny Vermont.

I've been running Amsoil 15-40 in my L2250 for the past 23 years, and it's never failed to start yet. :)

/ Kubota engine oil recommendation #8  
At 150 hours I switched from 10w-30 kubota oil to 5w-40 Rotella Synthetic. I'm sticking with this until spring. Then I'll go with the 15w-40 Rotella. The kubota tech I spoke with about 2 months ago said it was just fine to do that...off the record.

/ Kubota engine oil recommendation #9  
15w40 Rotella user here

/ Kubota engine oil recommendation #10  
i have been using 15-40 in my B2400 and no prolem and it does get could here in western ny, i just let it warm up good before using it, but that should be SOP for any tractor in cold weather.