Fuel Filters

/ Fuel Filters #1  

joes_427_vette

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH Cub Lo Boy, 955 John Deere , TC 55 DA New Holland, Bolens HT 20 and 1456
Anyone have a source for fuel filters for New Holland and John Deere compact tractors ? A 3" paper fuel filter for a NH is ten dollars with tax at the dealer. A similar sized Fram is only $2.59. The correct Wix filter is twelve dollars. The parts store sales person states their filters are OEM repackaged and higher priced due to manufacturing rights.

/ Fuel Filters #2  
I compared soem for my DX55 recently. The Case fileters are $8.24 at my dealer. The Wix 33507 or Napa gold 3307 are slightly less, if at all. I decided not to look any further due to the difference in fuel quality these days. Add to that the way Bio diesel scrubs and releases crap from dirty tanks and fuel systems. I'm sticking with the denser paper of the better brands. You might be able to find a little better price on filters by checking other dealers too. I'm lucky to have a fair priced dealer as my main dealer.

/ Fuel Filters
I like to change my filters often and I can't see any more or less quality in a paper 3" filter. I have some coming from a Deere dealer for $5.00 each. I read in a forum the same filter fits both Deere and New Holland. If this is true I will get case.

/ Fuel Filters #4  
That's a great price! My comments about the denser filters came from studies I read a while back. They claimed the better brand name filters trapped more dirt and slime, but they also plugged up quicker with gelled fuel due to this. I only change mine a couple times a year so the price difference doesn't amount to much. If I changed them more often like you, I would probably shop for abetter price too.

/ Fuel Filters #5  
Thanks Joe! The filters from NH are expensive, and I change mine out regularly. I will be most thankful if you do find a replacement. I think I have read that the NH filters are 2 micron.

/ Fuel Filters #7  
Thanks Joe! The filters from NH are expensive, and I change mine out regularly. I will be most thankful if you do find a replacement. I think I have read that the NH filters are 2 micron.

I probably shouldn't even post this, because I don't know for certain. I would be astonished if the single-pass paper element NH filter was smaller than 10 micron. Many of the new fuel filters for new Tier IV diesels are 5 micron.

/ Fuel Filters #8  
Locate a "Big Rig repair shop" to buy Baldwin Filters. Truck parts stores also carry Baldwin.

If you are looking for trouble buy Wix. Wix will tell just because the filter screws onto your filter housing the filter will work. WRONG!! I paid to replace the Hyrdo-pump and two drive motors for a Cat 943 loader. Wix filters were used. The Wix filter specs may not same as the manufacturer. Baldwin will not recommend a filter if the specs are not meet. $12,800.00 later,
(plus labor) Wix filter people were no help with the repair. Buy cheap and you get what you paid!

Locate a Baldwin dealer. Get the Wix off your equipment!

/ Fuel Filters #9  
Thanks about the info on the Baldwin filters. I've read the same elsewhere. CAT filters get rave reviews from the heavy equipment people, as well as the diesel truck fellers...:)

/ Fuel Filters #10  
I try to buy my filters, fuel or oil, from my JD dealer. His prices are a bit less for my truck filters than what I pay at the parts store. AND JD always has it in stock. I order and I get the parts in the mail in one to two days.

I messed up over the holiday. Changing oil, the oil, fuel, and air filters on the tractor. At the same time I changed the oil, oil and fuel filters in the truck. I forgot I did not have a fuel filter for the tractor. :eek: I try to keep a supply of filters on hand but I was out of the JD tractor fuel filter. :rolleyes: The JD dealer is too far to just drive too and I think they were closed anyway so off to NAPA I went. I think it was $7 for the filter. Looked just like the JD filter it replaced. I'm sure the NAPA filter was a couple dollars more.

I get the fuel and oil filters for my F350 from JD. :D

Later,
Dan