Fuel Storage Tank and Stand

/ Fuel Storage Tank and Stand #1  

GIJOE

Gold Member
Tractor
MAHINDRA 3510 w/ ML112 FEL
Here is a fuel tank stand I built for a 75 gallon tank from a Mack truck. The skids are built out of 6" channel iron with 1-1/2" ID pipe used for the spreaders. 3" flat bar was welded to the open side so it could be securely transported by a set of forks. The cradles were made from a section of trailer house frame with a strip of 1/8" sheet metal cut 3" wide and welded in place to hold the tank. The upper part of the frame was made out of the same 1-1/2" ID pipe and 1-1/2" square tubing. A shackle was cut and welded on top to be used as a lifting eye, and a piece of 1/4" plate was used for the mounting location for the hand rotary pump. Brass fittings, valves and fuel hose finish off the plumbing.
Enjoy.

Attachments

• DSC00541.jpg
    DSC00541.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 373
  • DSC00542.jpg
    DSC00542.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 293
  • DSC00543.jpg
    DSC00543.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 340
  • DSC00544.jpg
    DSC00544.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 290
  • DSC00545.jpg
    DSC00545.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC00546.jpg
    DSC00546.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 251
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 249
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 318
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 250
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC00088.JPG
    DSC00088.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 473
  • DSC00089.JPG
    DSC00089.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 2,876
  • DSC00090.JPG
    DSC00090.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 562
   / Fuel Storage Tank and Stand #2  
Here is a fuel tank stand I built for a 75 gallon tank from a Mack truck. The skids are built out of 6" channel iron with 1-1/2" ID pipe used for the spreaders. 3" flat bar was welded to the open side so it could be securely transported by a set of forks. The cradles were made from a section of trailer house frame with a strip of 1/8" sheet metal cut 3" wide and welded in place to hold the tank. The upper part of the frame was made out of the same 1-1/2" ID pipe and 1-1/2" square tubing. A shackle was cut and welded on top to be used as a lifting eye, and a piece of 1/4" plate was used for the mounting location for the hand rotary pump. Brass fittings, valves and fuel hose finish off the plumbing.
Enjoy.
Neat
Good Job.
Do you fill it with off road?

/ Fuel Storage Tank and Stand #3  
Cool, good idea using a truck fuel tank, nice job.

/ Fuel Storage Tank and Stand #4  
Geez !! I knew I should of kept that passenger tank off the side of my truck when it was replaced last winter after being banged in the side by a half-wit who did not scrape the ice off of his side windows , ( barely had himself a 6" hole scraped in the windshield to see through :mad: ) . That was a 100 gallon model with 2 dings in the side towards the bottom , roughly the size of a baseball each . Cost for new tank ............. $1600 !!!!!

Course , his insurance bought it , so I was not to concerned about the cost .

But for others , that is a good idea . Go check at truck dealerships that do body work . The local freightliner dealership here had a couple of tanks behind their body shop awhile back . Any dings like mine are not fixable , since the aluminum is streched , so guess they would go to scrap ??

Nice work . ;)

Fred H.

/ Fuel Storage Tank and Stand #5  
Makes me feel like a cheapskate! I'm using a couple of 55 gal. drums I paid $5 apiece for. Picked up a Gasboy handpump at a garage sale for another $10 (had to put a gasket kit in that). Lifting a full drum out of the back of the pickup with the frontloader is a bit touchy though. The truck fuel tank is a really good idea!

/ Fuel Storage Tank and Stand
Thanks for the compliments guys.

When I bought this house I'm living in now, several years ago, the tank was in the backyard. I was originally going to get rid of it, but I couldn't find anyone to take it. I even set it out by the road for the garbage man to pick up but they consider a fuel tank hazardous material and wouldn't touch it. I carried back up to the house, and after it set in the back yard for a couple of years, I got the idea from this forum to build a storage tank.

LBrown59,
I just finished it couple of weeks ago and have not had time to fill it yet, but yes, it will be filled with off road fuel.

harwill,
Lifting a full drum out of the back of the pickup with the front loader is a bit touchy though.
Yes, I know what you mean. That is why I built this to be lifted by a set of forks or from the lifting eye.

Joe

/ Fuel Storage Tank and Stand #8  
Thanks for the compliments guys.

When I bought this house I'm living in now, several years ago, the tank was in the backyard. I was originally going to get rid of it, but I couldn't find anyone to take it. I even set it out by the road for the garbage man to pick up but they consider a fuel tank hazardous material and wouldn't touch it. I carried back up to the house, and after it set in the back yard for a couple of years, I got the idea from this forum to build a storage tank.

1*Lifting a full drum out of the back of the pickup with the front loader is a bit touchy though.
harwill,

2*Yes, I know what you mean. That is why I built this to be lifted by a set of forks or from the lifting eye.
Joe
1* & 2* I wrestled with this till I realized I had a pump to pump the fuel out of the drum .
I don't do any handling of drums of fuel.
You did a great job on the tank:
Only thing I'd have done different is to have plumed in another hose on the pump.

LBrown59,

3*I just finished it a couple of weeks ago and have not had time to fill it yet, but yes, it will be filled with off road fuel.
3*I get my fuel delivered even though It's only 25 to 55 gallon at a time.
Have you checked that out.?
Cost me the same if I go get it.

Last edited:
   / Fuel Storage Tank and Stand #9  
Makes me feel like a cheapskate! I'm using a couple of 55 gal. drums I paid $5 apiece for. Picked up a Gasboy handpump at a garage sale for another $10 (had to put a gasket kit in that). Lifting a full drum out of the back of the pickup with the front loader is a bit touchy though..
The truck fuel tank is a really good idea!
Park the loader/use the pump.

/ Fuel Storage Tank and Stand #10  
Neat
Good Job.
I don't want to sound stupid but what is off road diesel, and where could I get it,is it less expensive.