Mixing synthetic oil?

/ Mixing synthetic oil? #1  

radman1

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 4520, Toolcat 5610, Bobcat S300, Case-IH 125 Pro, Case-IH 245, IH 1086, IH 806
I have Mobil 1 and Valvoline Premium Blue diesel synthetic oils. Bought the Valvoline when couldn't find Mobil 1. I have about 2 qts of Valvoline left over both are 5W-40 and same rating. Can I mix the two together to get rid of the Valvoline?

Last edited:
   / Mixing synthetic oil? #2  
Yes, you can mix them.

/ Mixing synthetic oil? #3  
I would get enough Mobil-1 to keep it all the same and use the other for your other small engines, from what I understand some of the additive packages are different and don't like to be mixed.If you don't have time to go shopping,you should be ok,the engine is like the brain,it just needs to be wet!

/ Mixing synthetic oil? #4  
If the Valvoline is a true synthetic; I would not see a significant problem. (But I'm not an oil "purist", either.)

IMO - the major difference between the 2 oils is likely the additive package; i.e. higher phosphorus, cadmium and other anti-wear components.

However, my Ford PS takes 15qts and the DuraMax, 10qts. So, 13% - 20% less additives (or more) than what is in the Mobil 1 would not be critical.

AKfish

/ Mixing synthetic oil? #5  
I would say go for it like the rest of the guys stated. The only way I would not is if the ratings were not the same. IE Api ratings, or one was CH and other CI......

/ Mixing synthetic oil?
I would get enough Mobil-1 to keep it all the same and use the other for your other small engines, from what I understand some of the additive packages are different and don't like to be mixed.If you don't have time to go shopping,you should be ok,the engine is like the brain,it just needs to be wet!

Forgot to say in the original post, both are pure synthetics and for diesel motors. Don't have any small engine diesels that would only use 1-2 qts.

/ Mixing synthetic oil? #7  
I always avoid mixing brands of oils, but I dont know of any studies that says that your engine will blow up if you mix Mobil with Shell or whatever. As long as they are the same API grade, they should be similar enough that they will mix and perform as required.
I just read a post yesterday where a member said that he gets rid of his spare oil by mixing it with his diesel. NOT used oil, new oil that you end up with a quart or half quart etc and nothing to do with it. The diesel engine will burn it easily with no harm done.

/ Mixing synthetic oil? #8  
I always avoid mixing brands of oils, but I dont know of any studies that says that your engine will blow up if you mix Mobil with Shell or whatever. As long as they are the same API grade, they should be similar enough that they will mix and perform as required.
I just read a post yesterday where a member said that he gets rid of his spare oil by mixing it with his diesel. NOT used oil, new oil that you end up with a quart or half quart etc and nothing to do with it. The diesel engine will burn it easily with no harm done.

I don't think I would want engine oil with its additives going through my diesel. Maybe my 1970 or 80's diesel that does not run 30,000psi in the injectors.... But I would not even risk it in my tractor......

/ Mixing synthetic oil? #9  
NOT used oil, new oil that you end up with a quart or half quart etc and nothing to do with it.

That just never happens to me. Just keep it in the garage and when the oil level drops between changes, top it off.

/ Mixing synthetic oil? #10  
NOT used oil, new oil that you end up with a quart or half quart etc and nothing to do with it.

That just never happens to me. Just keep it in the garage and when the oil level drops between changes, top it off.

Yep... works that way around here, too. And for some of the older, non-synthetic oils (new, not used) that I've got around - I blend it in my chain saw oil to thin it a bit for cold weather use.

AKfish