3 in 1 oil vs. WD40

/ 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40 #21  

There's something you're not supposed to use on plated firearms as it lifts the plating. Hoppes #7, maybe ?????? Does this ring a bell w anyone?

/ 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40 #22  
It is my opinion that the best place for WD-40 is left on the shelf in the store. It leaves a sticky residue when it drys. All serious gun owners and gun shooters use G-96 complete gun treament.

/ 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40 #23  
It is my opinion that the best place for WD-40 is left on the shelf in the store. It leaves a sticky residue when it drys. All serious gun owners and gun shooters use G-96 complete gun treament.

I must not be serious after 35 year of shooting. I use FP-10, Militec, Butch's etc :D Never tried G96. Never saw a need for anything better than what I have been using:confused:

At least we agree on the WD issue, it never was a lube, only a water displacer.

/ 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40 #24  

Guess my gun vault, reloading room and 100/200/400/1,000 yard ranges don't make me a serious shooter either since I have never used much less heard of "G-96".

/ 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40 #25  
Guess my gun vault, reloading room and 100/200/400/1,000 yard ranges don't make me a serious shooter either since I have never used much less heard of "G-96".

I never heard of it either. And while I don't do any shooting anymore, I used WD-40 lots of times on guns with no ill effects. Of course, it was a matter of spray it on and wipe it off when cleaning them.

/ 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40 #26  
I like WD-40, but not for any lubrication needs. Its a water displacer, I don't use it on guns.

I like break free CLP for gun lubrication. I like cleaning them with Hopps #9. My anti rust prevention is Collinites's No. 845 insulator Wax, I get the wax from Harbor Freight. (its the wax I use on my vehicles. If you do use wax on your guns, make sure there are no abrasives in it.) If you look at guns sites the best lubricant is like asking hydro or gear here.

One of the cheap oils that people seem to really like is ATF for firearm lubrication. There are also several people who like to use a combination of grease and oil. Grease the parts that slide and oil the parts that pivot.

What people like also depends on if they want an all in one solution or specific fluids. Each person has an opinion. I use CLP because its not hard to find and the tests I have seen it does pretty good, not the best but close to the top. There are a couple that people swear by and love but they are hard to get. You have to order it from one specific company or person and its not a normal simple internet click and order.

/ 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40 #27  
Does new 3-n-1 still smell the same...that was the best!

I use wd-40 and Rem-oil on mine. But I don't leave it wet. Wiping it dry IMO will leave just enough protection. moving parts only.

But on the barrel and exposed areas, I wipe it dry, then wipe with a damp cloth(water), then dry cloth. NO oil or anything. oils can harbor moisture, wiping with a damp cloth will remove the acids left by our skin. Never had a problem with rusting, they stay in a vault in the house. If they get wet during the season, they get wiped down, preserved at the end of the year.

Good Luck,
rob

/ 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40 #28  
I must not be serious after 35 year of shooting. I use FP-10, Militec, Butch's etc :D Never tried G96. Never saw a need for anything better than what I have been using:confused:

At least we agree on the WD issue, it never was a lube, only a water displacer.

AMEN to the FP-10. Its the ONLY thing I will use on weapon "mechanisms"...whether it be my O/U bird guns or my 1911 45 ACP's..or even my S&W revolvers.

I use BreakFree CLP for the outsides unless they are going into LONG term storage..and then I use Clenzoil on them.

/ 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40 #29  
AMEN to the FP-10. Its the ONLY thing I will use on weapon "mechanisms"...whether it be my O/U bird guns or my 1911 45 ACP's..or even my S&W revolvers.

I use BreakFree CLP for the outsides unless they are going into LONG term storage..and then I use Clenzoil on them.

I do have a few firearm internals that get grease such as Brownells action lube, Plastilube, Militec etc. I have also used the LWS? white military lube oil and the WW2 vintage amber oil.

/ 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40 #30  
I never heard of it either. And while I don't do any shooting anymore, I used WD-40 lots of times on guns with no ill effects. Of course, it was a matter of spray it on and wipe it off when cleaning them.

I am a US Army retiree but that don't make me a gun expert on cleaning. My dealer has helped me a lot. I use Shooter's Choice for bore/barrel cleaning. Gun Cleaning Supplies- Bore & Lubricants Rust Prevention for Guns Shooter's Choice. G 96 to clean, lube and protect, G-96 Products Co. Paterson NJ. Again I am no expert but this stuff works for me and beleive me I have tryed a lot of it.