3 in 1 oil vs. WD40

/ 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40 #31  
I've always used hoppes and breakfree which is what our firearms instructors use. Since carrying a gun is part of my job (like Bird before he retired!) it's kind of important that the gun works when it's needed. Without getting into a debate about what the best gun oil/lubricant is (I'm sure there are many different brands that work equally well), I would not use something not specifically designed for a gun application. When they have lubricants spcifically designed for an application why would you possibly want to use an all purpose one?? Can't be cost since the dedicated gun lubes aren't expensive AND you don't use much anyway. (BTW - over lubricating is a common mistake).

Anyway - I use WD 40 for some things but don't know anyone who carries a gun for a living that uses it............

/ 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40 #32  
I use Miltec in EVERYTHING and I do mean EVERYTHING for the last 20 years.

I use it in all my motors diesel and gas, cars,trucks, tractors and big rigs, guns, compressors, generators, quads, transmissions, differentials, chain saws - anything that takes a lubricant.

I'm not affiliated with them, just read for yourself. Read what the troops are saying.

MILITEC-1 - The ONLY all-purpose synthetic metal conditioner and gun oil

/ 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40 #33  
Grew up with 3 in 1. Guess my grand dad and Dad had been using it since when. I still use it. Makes my 6 guns smell like 6 guns.

Have used Hoppes 9 for years. Managed to get a few bottles to my son in Afghanistan. Said he had a hard time getting cleaning supplies--guess he's like me---the Hoppe's smell on his 249 made him feel at home.

Never tried any of that exotic sounding stuff the OPs mentioned. I am sure it works well. Never noticed malfunctions using Hoppes 9 and 3 in 1.

Agree. WD 40 and firearms don't mix too well. Seen a lot of guys keep wd 40 in their rucksacks and spray down the outside of their weapons.

/ 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40 #34  
Personally, I've never heard of anyone having a problem using WD-40 on guns, except . . . . some 35-40 years ago a warning was circulated among law enforcement agencies about WD-40 on ammunition. It seems that some officers not only sprayed their guns with WD-40, but also sprayed their ammo, and some of the WD-40 penetrated into the cartridges, so the cartridges failed to work. Of course, for some of us, it's a little hard to understand anyone soaking any ammo in any solvent.:rolleyes:

/ 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40 #35  
Grew up with 3 in 1. Guess my grand dad and Dad had been using it since when. I still use it. Makes my 6 guns smell like 6 guns.

Have used Hoppes 9 for years. Managed to get a few bottles to my son in Afghanistan. Said he had a hard time getting cleaning supplies--guess he's like me---the Hoppe's smell on his 249 made him feel at home.

Never tried any of that exotic sounding stuff the OPs mentioned. I am sure it works well. Never noticed malfunctions using Hoppes 9 and 3 in 1.

Agree. WD 40 and firearms don't mix too well. Seen a lot of guys keep wd 40 in their rucksacks and spray down the outside of their weapons.

Ahhh yes! The smell of Hoppes #9 in the morning...:D

/ 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40 #38  
dunno... :D 3 in 1...yes...the OLD style permanant markers....yes...Hoppes $9...ouch! :D

I love the smell of Hoppes, reminds me of when my father would be cleaning his guns when I was a kid. I still use it today. I love that stuff.

/ 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40 #39  
I love the smell of Hoppes, reminds me of when my father would be cleaning his guns when I was a kid. I still use it today. I love that stuff.
That aroma is one that always seems to trigger strong emotions. For me, it always signaled autumn/hunting season. ;)

/ 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40 #40  
Does new 3-n-1 still smell the same...that was the best!

I use wd-40 and Rem-oil on mine. But I don't leave it wet. Wiping it dry IMO will leave just enough protection. moving parts only.

But on the barrel and exposed areas, I wipe it dry, then wipe with a damp cloth(water), then dry cloth. NO oil or anything. oils can harbor moisture, wiping with a damp cloth will remove the acids left by our skin. Never had a problem with rusting, they stay in a vault in the house. If they get wet during the season, they get wiped down, preserved at the end of the year.

Good Luck,
rob
Does 3 in 1 still smell the same? YES! My son was just cleaning his bike today getting it ready for spring and asked, "where's the 3 in 1?, my bike chain is rusty". I found the oil but I had to pull the spout up and take a whiff before handing it over to him. Brings back memories!