3 in 1 oil vs. WD40

/ 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40 #1  

CurlyDave

Elite Member
Tractor
JD TLB 110
I bought a container of 3 in 1 oil today and while I was waiting in the line at the register, I read the little plastic bottle. It turns out that it is now made by WD40.

Does anyone know when this happened?

I have always had a much higher regard for 3 in 1 than for WD40, ever since the time that WD40 gummed up the floating firing pin on my Browning Lever Rifle. (It misfired on a a feral hog at a range of 3 ft., and the only thing that kept me from being gored with a tusk was sticking the barrel of the rifle down its throat -- no more WD40 on guns.)

Anyway, I have been buying 3 in 1 all my life, and I know the brand is older than WD40.

Is the formulation still the same as it used to be or did WD40 change that?

Last edited:
   / 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40 #2  
Not sure when ownership changed hands.

On your sticking firing pin, I wonder if it wasn't that the WD40 gummed it up but the WD40 broke loose or softened up some deposits that caused the misfire. Semi-auto SKS rifles are noturious for firing like full auto's if not cleaned properly. I know a couple of the ones I have owned over the years that were brand new often would fire 3+ rounds with one pull of the trigger. The problem was factory anti rust coating (cosmoline) in the bolt that was making the free floating firing pin stick in the forward position causing it to fire again as soon as another round was chambered. A quick bath in the ultrasonic cleaner cleared up the problem.

/ 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40 #3  
I thought it was generally a bad idea to lube a firing pin and it's channel at all. Is the Browning lever action rifle different?

/ 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40 #4  
No, that was kind of my point. To much lube or anything and the firing pin can stick. I only very lightly oil firing pins in my weapons using high quality and low viscosity oil. Just enough to ensure some light lubrication. Many people over lubricate thinking more is better, it isn't.

/ 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40 #5  
Many many years ago, a gunsmith recommended a lubricant for my guns called SOS. He claimed the initials stand for "slicker than snot" I think it is a silicone based material. I bought a small jar about 2 ozs and I still have most of it. It takes just a tiny amount on friction parts to make them slide freely and it never dries out, gums up or hardens. I dont know if it is still made today. But it is very good.

/ 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40 #6  
I bought a container of 3 in 1 oil today and while I was waiting in the line at the register, I read the little plastic bottle. It turns out that it is now made by WD40.

Does anyone know when this happened?

I have always had a much higher regard for 3 in 1 than for WD40, ever since the time that WD40 gummed up the floating firing pin on my Browning Lever Rifle. (It misfired on a a feral hog at a range of 3 ft., and the only thing that kept me from being gored with a tusk was sticking the barrel of the rifle down its throat -- no more WD40 on guns.)

Anyway, I have been buying 3 in 1 all my life, and I know the brand is older than WD40.

Is the formulation still the same as it used to be or did WD40 change that?

History of 3 in 1 oil.

http://www.3inone.com/products/motor-oil/

/ 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40 #7  
it misfired on a a feral hog at a range of 3 ft., and the only thing that kept me from being gored with a tusk was sticking the barrel of the rifle down its throat
What happened next???

/ 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40 #8  
Not sure when ownership changed hands.

On your sticking firing pin, I wonder if it wasn't that the WD40 gummed it up but the WD40 broke loose or softened up some deposits that caused the misfire. Semi-auto SKS rifles are noturious for firing like full auto's if not cleaned properly. I know a couple of the ones I have owned over the years that were brand new often would fire 3+ rounds with one pull of the trigger. The problem was factory anti rust coating (cosmoline) in the bolt that was making the free floating firing pin stick in the forward position causing it to fire again as soon as another round was chambered. A quick bath in the ultrasonic cleaner cleared up the problem.

I bet you are right.. wd40 ain't a great lube anyway.. but is a decent solvent.

soundguy

/ 3 in 1 oil vs. WD40
What happened next???

It didn't like chewing on the barrel so it backed up and then ran about 20 feet away.

I worked the lever to bring up another round, and shot it mid-way between the eye and the ear.

I know from other experiences that WD40 leaves a gummy residue. I will sometimes spray an entire drill index with a liberal dose of WD40 in order to prevent corrosion. When I look inside a year later, there is a gummy residue on the sides of the metal box from the WD40, and some of the drills are stuck in the little metal rack. No corrosion though, and a little gum on a drill is no big problem.

What I think the problem with the rifle was is that I had cleaned it after the season the year before, and sprayed the internals of the action with a light dose of WD40. I cleaned the barrel before the season in question. I didn't feel a need to sight it in because in the previous six years or so I had never taken a shot over 30 ft, and had frequently laid the rifle down and just stabbed the pig.

I discovered that there are more reasons to sight in a rifle each season than just checking the zero. Making sure it goes bang is in there too.

I had owned the rifle for 6 or 7 years and had cleaned it before & after each season. I doubt there was any residue left from the factory. As a result of the experience I switched to Break Free for a spray lube and haven't had any problems since. In the past couple of years I have used the Rem Oil spray (Remington) if I don't see Break Free on the shelf.