Try oil additive if burning oil?

/ Try oil additive if burning oil? #11  
What's bugging me is it starts up in 30+ weather.

Could it burn 1 qt every 5 hours and yet be able to develop enough compression to start in 30+ weather?

You are confusing compression and oil control.

pistons have both rings.. oil control rings. and compression rings.

if your compression is good.. then i bet the oil control ring is bad.. In that case.. i wouldn't think it overheated.. as I think all the rings would have cooked.. etc..

soundguy

/ Try oil additive if burning oil?
Which WalMart oil should I use?

/ Try oil additive if burning oil? #13  
Any brand of oil as long as it says for diesel engines. Most common are 15W-40 but 10W-30 or 5W-30 is better in colder temps but not always available on the shelf. I use Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic in my truck and tractor. Of course synthetic costs more and isn't required. I just prefer it.

I think I'll go for 15W-40 diesel.

Since I burn a quart every 5 hours, I may opt for the lowest cost.

/ Try oil additive if burning oil? #15  
Yea, go for the regular Rotella 15W40. On sale all the time for about $11 a gallon around here. I am guessing if you take the head off you are going to end up doing a full rebuild. My feeling is there was some sever damage done back when it was overheated. And you know how rentals are run, treated, and maintained.

Chris

/ Try oil additive if burning oil? #16  
Cheap oil may be the cause. Try a good quality oil, change it at 10 hours and make sure you get the motor up to temp. Oil rings may be stuck or gummed up.
Oil is not all equal.

/ Try oil additive if burning oil? #17  
Since it's not really a high hours machine, I'd go ahead and do a rebuild. If it did overheat, it may just be a ring problem and you'll only need minimum parts. The tractor still has lots of life left, why not fix the problem and know what you have.

Local Walmart had Chevron Delo 400 LE, Shell Rotella, and Mobil Delvac ( I think that was it).

Delo was 11.7 / gal
Rotella was 10.5/gal
Mobil was 11.7 / gal

I bought of gal of Delo -- liked the blue containter, and cool font on the label, although the squatty Mobil container would fit on smaller shelves better.

:)

Rats.. should have wasted (doh... invested) more time surfing..

Mobil Delvac Rebate

Could have gotten $3 off the Mobil..