Try oil additive if burning oil?

/ Try oil additive if burning oil? #1  

coloradotrout

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4100 HST CUT w/Yanmar 3TNE74 | JD 300 Lawn
I have a JD 4100 that burns about a quart every 5 hours (20HP HST CUT). Postedly elsewhere are all the details.

Someone recently suggested I try Lucasoil stabilizer. A website shows where that stuff foams up real bad. Someone else suggested I try Mystik oil.

I'm running JD oil now. Previous owner used Chevron I believe.

What about RESTORE?

Anyone have a 4100 they have pulled the head off? How long did it take? I'm tempted to do this but 1) dont want to screw it up and 2) maybe the is no point to doing it -- it does burn oil.

/ Try oil additive if burning oil? #2  
When its burning oil nothing short of a rebuild will cure it. Items such as RESTORE or CD-2 can temporarily slow down oil consumption but when rings, valves, guides, seats etc. get worn they need replacing.

/ Try oil additive if burning oil? #3  
Like George said there's no fix in a can. If it's worn out it's worn out. Depending on what viscosity oil you are currently using you could try a little thicker oil. The problem with thicker oil is harder starting in cold weather. Most but not all oil additives tend be very thick which negatively effects cold cranking performance. There are additives that are actually polymers that really don't effect viscosity at starting temp but as the engine heats up the polymer molecules unwind effectively thickening the oil. In any case it's still not fixing the real problem.

/ Try oil additive if burning oil? #4  
I am going through this with a car. Like the others said, oil is cheap. Just keep it at the proper level and run it.

Chris

/ Try oil additive if burning oil?
Yeah, I tend to agree. I am also leary of quick fixes thinking that they may complicate the real fix later on.

I'm using JD oil now. Does WalMart have an acceptable diesel engine oil I can switch to?

How much can I tell by pulling off the head? Supposedly the engine has 1155 hours. I have owned it for 75 hours and it has burned oil the whole time. It was a rental prior, and in the JD log, it shows a water pump failure at 600 hours. I have posted all the details elsewhere dating back to 2005, so I won't start this all over again. But things change and maybe there is some new light to shed.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/68867-new-used-rebuilt-engine-needed.html

/ Try oil additive if burning oil? #6  
I have a JD 4100 that burns about a quart every 5 hours (20HP HST CUT). Postedly elsewhere are all the details.

Someone recently suggested I try Lucasoil stabilizer. A website shows where that stuff foams up real bad. Someone else suggested I try Mystik oil.

I'm running JD oil now. Previous owner used Chevron I believe.

What about RESTORE?

Anyone have a 4100 they have pulled the head off? How long did it take? I'm tempted to do this but 1) dont want to screw it up and 2) maybe the is no point to doing it -- it does burn oil.

If it was burning a quart an oil change. then yeah.. add the snake oil.. but 2qts a day... naaa.. needs a wrench.. not goop..

soundguy

What's bugging me is it starts up in 30+ weather.

Could it burn 1 qt every 5 hours and yet be able to develop enough compression to start in 30+ weather?

/ Try oil additive if burning oil? #8  
Yeah, I tend to agree. I am also leary of quick fixes thinking that they may complicate the real fix later on.

I'm using JD oil now. Does WalMart have an acceptable diesel engine oil I can switch to?

How much can I tell by pulling off the head? Supposedly the engine has 1155 hours. I have owned it for 75 hours and it has burned oil the whole time. It was a rental prior, and in the JD log, it shows a water pump failure at 600 hours. I have posted all the details elsewhere dating back to 2005, so I won't start this all over again. But things change and maybe there is some new light to shed.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/68867-new-used-rebuilt-engine-needed.html

WM does sell diesel oil. My local super center has a few different brands all of which are good.

By pulling the head a good shop can check the valves, guides, and seals. You can also check for excessive piston ring slop by moving the top of the piston with your hand. It's possible that it may just need new guides and seals since 1155 hours isn't a lot for a diesel.

Providing the rings and valves are good you will have good compression which leads me to think its the valve guides and/or seals.

I was wondering if I can remove the head and learn anything? Or at least learn enough to know what the next steps might be.

/ Try oil additive if burning oil? #10  
My guess is when the water pump went out, the engine overheated. I would think you could do some things with the head off. Like check the condition of the valves and measure the size of the cylinder bores to see how badly worn they are.