Log Splitter hydraulic fluid

/ Log Splitter hydraulic fluid #1  

KeithT

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK3510HST SE
I have a gas powered toro log splitter. Manufacturer call for 10-AW fluid or Dexron III. Can I use the tractor hydraulic fluid they carry at Walmart instead?

/ Log Splitter hydraulic fluid #2  
I think they have their hydraulic viscosity rating mixed up with SAE engine oil spec's. If they call for a fluid with a viscosity similar to Dexron III then that would be a AW 32 or "SAE 10" viscosity oil. Most UTF fluids are around a SAE 10W/20 equivelant. You could use the UTF fluid since it's cold performance will be similar.

/ Log Splitter hydraulic fluid #3  
Maybe you can get the fluid replaced for free... There's been a recall on Toro log splitters.
The Toro Company Information: Product Recall Information (4/4/2006)

That being said, here's a quote from my manual (Troybilt splitter).
Fill the reservoir tank with hydraulic fluid included with
this unit (if equipped) or approved fluids which include
Dexron® III / Mercon® III automatic transmission fluid,
a 10 Weight AW hydraulic oil or Pro-Mix AW-32
Hydraulic Oil.

/ Log Splitter hydraulic fluid #4  
Looks like what I suspected, the 10 weight they refer to is SAE 10 weight.

/ Log Splitter hydraulic fluid #5  
I did a 50 hour service on my Kubota L3830 and saved the old super UDT that I drained out, it looked like new. I changed the hyd oil in my logsplitter with it and it works much better than the wally world generic hydraulic oil. I have about 17 gallons of used super UDT so I can change the hyd oil in the splitter several times with it.

/ Log Splitter hydraulic fluid #6  
I did a 50 hour service on my Kubota L3830 and saved the old super UDT that I drained out, it looked like new. I changed the hyd oil in my logsplitter with it and it works much better than the wally world generic hydraulic oil. I have about 17 gallons of used super UDT so I can change the hyd oil in the splitter several times with it.

Sorry to bump old thread.

I was thinking of doing this with my new splitter and using Super UDT.

Did this (used) fluid continue working 'fine' for you?