gas storage in plastic deck box?

/ gas storage in plastic deck box? #1  

donn12

Platinum Member
Tractor
B2920 TLB turfs and loaded ags
would this be okay? I couldn't find a picture but 4 or 5 5 gallons tanks could fit in this container. I am anxious to get my fuels out of my garage. I am a little worried about the heat in summer but it has got to be better than the garage. FWI I have plastic ventless cans and I could replace with metal if necessary.

/ gas storage in plastic deck box? #2  
I think the big thing would be venting. If it is located out in the sun I am sure the cans with want to expand if not vented. Other than that I don't see a real problem.

/ gas storage in plastic deck box? #3  
I have tried to think of outdoor storage for gas, but every time I try to come up with something I keep coming back to the idea that it just giving neighborhood kids, vandals, vagrants, a fuel supply to further their tendency to play with matches.

I feel more secure with the gas locked inside my garage.

Maybe the fact that I had a firebug kid live in my neighborhood and torch 5 or 6 cars many years ago colors my thinking.

/ gas storage in plastic deck box? #4  
I store my 5 gal plastic can out in my small 10'x14' metal shed. The ambient temp in there is always hotter than the outside air. My cans have expanded to the point they are almost round at times. It's kind of scary. I lost a fuel tank on my garden tiller because of expansion. I now just leave the caps of the ventless cans open just a little to plan on expansion. I know I'm venting a small about of fuel into the air, but I've never walked into the shed and smelled gas.
If it were me and I was going to store in plastic deck box, open the gas cans a little, allow for venting of fumes from the deck box and I'd make sure to lock the deck box.
I'm not big fan of keeping anything explosive in my garage, which is attached to my house.

Wedge

/ gas storage in plastic deck box? #5  
I have tried to think of outdoor storage for gas, but every time I try to come up with something I keep coming back to the idea that it just giving neighborhood kids, vandals, vagrants, a fuel supply to further their tendency to play with matches.

I feel more secure with the gas locked inside my garage.

*Maybe the fact that I had a firebug kid live in my neighborhood and torch 5 or 6 cars many years ago colors my thinking.
I'd rather loose this than this in a fire so I moved my full supply out of the garage into the storage building.
* Let the fire bug play with the shed not my garages picks ups and car.
I store my 5 gal plastic can out in my small 10'x14' metal shed. The ambient temp in there is always hotter than the outside air. My cans have expanded to the point they are almost round at times. It's kind of scary. I lost a fuel tank on my garden tiller because of expansion. I now just leave the caps of the ventless cans open just a little to plan on expansion. I know I'm venting a small about of fuel into the air, but I've never walked into the shed and smelled gas.
If it were me and I was going to store in plastic deck box, open the gas cans a little, allow for venting of fumes from the deck box and I'd make sure to lock the deck box.
I'm not big fan of keeping anything explosive in my garage, which is attached to my house.

Wedge
Put some vents in the 10'x14' metal shed.

/ gas storage in plastic deck box? #6  
I don't know if its ok or not, and the TBNer Firefighters did not like it, but I kept one gallon of fuel/oil mix for the Stihls in bed box in my truck from 2000 to 2004. :eek:

It did not blow up. :D

And I did have one or two fire extinguishers at the other end of the truck bed not that they would have helped much if the gas had gone boom but they made me feel better. :eek::D

I did not like it though. At least the fuel can was out of the direct sun.

Back in the city I eventually moved my gas cans out to the side yard next to a fence and under a bush. It was not easily seen. I would rather have it out there than in the garage. On the place now I keep the fuel on the north side of the barn in either in a locked truck bed box in a Rubber Maid out door cabinet or just under one of the bed boxes. In all cases the cans are out of the sun light due to being shaded by the barn.

Later,
Dan

/ gas storage in plastic deck box? #7  
having same dilemma. i don't like storing the flammable/corrosive/poisonous chemicals in the same areas as other valuables. i think a small, rubbermaid shed or metal storage container would do the trick.

right now my fuel is in a lean-to attached to the barn. the floor is gravel so any spills will soak in and there are ventilation grills to vent fumes. the problem is the same as yours - temp extremes. the plastic jugs shrink up in the cold winter weather and fuel is lost due to evaporation in the hot summer months.

whatever you use, the lower the temperature swing, the less fuel lost due to evaporation and spillage when the full jugs contract. that means insulation and thermal mass.

i would just place a well insulated shed on a cement slab well away from other buildings. slant the slab so any spills can drain safely. the slab will act as a heat sink and normalize temp swings. add a few no smoking and caution flammable liquids signs and call it done. making the building metal is even better.

i would even put my parts washer and other poisonous chemicals in the same building as the fuel.

amp

/ gas storage in plastic deck box? #8  
I don't know if its ok or not, and the TBNer Firefighters did not like it, but I kept one gallon of fuel/oil mix for the Stihls in bed box in my truck from 2000 to 2004. :eek:

It did not blow up. :D

talk about do as I say not as I do LOL I have never seen a firetruck that didnt have spare gas cans on it for saws, jaws, fans and other tools. I also keep a 1/2 gallon premixed can on my personal truck for the chainsaw. As far as storage, ventilated shed as far from house as possible, no electricty. metal, plastic, wood even block makes no difference just keep shaded as possible and free from ignigtion sources.

/ gas storage in plastic deck box? #9  
I'd rather loose this than this in a fire so I moved my full supply out of the garage into the storage building.
* Let the fire bug play with the shed not my garages picks ups and car.
Put some vents in the 10'x14' metal shed.

Well, the scenario I am looking at is that a kid, vandal, whoever breaks into the shed and then decides to use the gas he finds in there. Probably to torch the nearby house.

If someone breaks into the attached garage my dogs will always know about it and I will run him off.

/ gas storage in plastic deck box? #10  
I use a large, old, rubbermaid doghouse - holds 4 - 5 gal cans - keeps it dry enough and is plenty ventilated. Only problem is reaching in without checking for wasps nest first