will not stay running

/ will not stay running #1  

Mike B in Boise

Tractor
86 ford 1700 4x4
i have a 86 ford 1700 i replaced thermostat changed oil and replaced fuel filter now it will not stay running it will start and run for about 15 to 30 seconds then die. i have bled the line up to the injectors and i get fuel out of the bleed screw. i put a new battery in and it still runs like it is out of fuel. help.

/ will not stay running #2  
i have a 86 ford 1700 i replaced thermostat changed oil and replaced fuel filter now it will not stay running it will start and run for about 15 to 30 seconds then die. i have bled the line up to the injectors and i get fuel out of the bleed screw. i put a new battery in and it still runs like it is out of fuel. help.

If you take the fuel line off at the filter and drain it into a container, does fuel continue to flow?

/ will not stay running #3  
deffinately sounds like fuel.. if it starts then dies.

soundguy

/ will not stay running
yes i get a flow of fuel i was able to get it to run for about 20 min. then when i powered it up it lost power a died. it would not restart felt loke the battery was dead. after waiting 30 min. it started again. it ran i powered it up and it dies again. as it runs it sounds louder than normal. it would also surge for a time it would idel up and down what do you think.

/ will not stay running #5  
yes i get a flow of fuel i was able to get it to run for about 20 min. then when i powered it up it lost power a died. it would not restart felt loke the battery was dead. after waiting 30 min. it started again. it ran i powered it up and it dies again. as it runs it sounds louder than normal. it would also surge for a time it would idel up and down what do you think.

Still sounds like a fuel supply problem. Just run a temp line from the fuel tank filler opening to the filter inlet.

/ will not stay running #6  
Ditto that. I know when my fuel tap gets plugged on my large diesels... they will usually start and run.. but starve out when i throttle them up as they use us more fuel than can pass the clog in the fuel tap..

soundguy

/ will not stay running #7  
Did you install a new air filter, and did you check the intake duct to see if it was stopped up. I had a rat completely stop up my air intake one time with a nest, and caused all kinds of problems before it found it. It was in a curved section of the intake tube. Just something to think about

/ will not stay running
just came in and checked the site thanks for the ideas i will draine the tank and re check everything for ice or other obstructions. the air breather is a oil bath type. i chan ged the oil and checked for blocks its clear. i will ceek every one posted. and when i find the problem i will tel tou all. keep the ideas coming mike.

/ will not stay running #9  
Does it have a fuel return line from the injector? If so it might be plugged.

/ will not stay running #10  
I had one of those problems that drove me just about off the ledge with a fairly new JD.
It would fun fine idle all day, soon as I cracked her a bit it would start rattling. I took it to JD, was told it was an injector. I checked them all, no problem.
Did the fuel system, got flow everything seemed ok. Then I started to break it down piece by piece, fitting by fitting. What I found really got me going with JD.

The plastic-foam whatever float in the fueltank broke a small piece off and hung up in the 90 where the line goes into the filter.