synthetic oil filter

/ synthetic oil filter #31  
I do know that synthetic oils have a lot smaller molecular structure than conventional motor oils. Oil control rings and combustion rings will get more blow by (exhaust gasses) passed by them and if this is the case all you would be doing is getting your oil contaminated think about it most manufactures do not want it used in there engines. Do not get me wrong it is great for thermal break downs. But most oils do not break down. Their additives burn off. That is why I change oil more often and use a factory recommended oil filter. Some oil filters have better flow and some have the ability to not let the engine oil drain back (check valve) they keep the oil gallies full when shut off for a long period of time and if you use a filter or synthetic oil that can have an effect on things you will wear parts prematurely, valve stems will cook oil faster and bring it back to the structure of the base that the oil was started with. you will have dirty oil due to the detergents in the oil (this is normal) and the oil filter should do just that, filter the oil but what do you want to filter the dirty oil or do you want to filter fine metals let the oil suspend the dirt as it should and carry fine particulats to the filter. This can go on and on. Tony

/ synthetic oil filter #32  
I do know that synthetic oils have a lot smaller molecular structure than conventional motor oils. Oil control rings and combustion rings will get more blow by (exhaust gasses) passed by them and if this is the case all you would be doing is getting your oil contaminated think about it most manufactures do not want it used in there engines. Do not get me wrong it is great for thermal break downs. But most oils do not break down. Their additives burn off. That is why I change oil more often and use a factory recommended oil filter.

Did you make this stuff up or read it somewhere ???:rolleyes:

/ synthetic oil filter #33  
I read that last night, I wouldn't even know where to start. :)

/ synthetic oil filter #35  
But he DOES have some valid points here...I have to give him credit for that.

/ synthetic oil filter #36  
I know I know sounds weird but It is true. Do you have oil leaks and are you using synthetics when you should not be. The change to a conventional oil and see if the leaks slow down also seal damage can happen with synthetics. Tony

/ synthetic oil filter #37  
And any proof is what? Show me the raw data since so far, BONG..zero

Perhaps you would care to share how you have come to "know" that bypass filtration systems do not work. What do you know that Cummins apparently has not learned in their use of bypass filtration on all of their engine models from the C series (now ISC) on up to the QSK78 Liter mine truck engine? How is it that you have stumbled onto the secret that bypass filtration is a rip off thrust on an unsuspecting public to sell filters? How is it that truck and mining maintenance management have not been able to see through this "smoke screen" of bypass filtraton? Could it be that engines like the MTU 4000 (2700 HP V16) that uses a centrifuge (type of bypass) oil cleaning system as does Caterpillar for some engine applications...could they also be wrong about bypass filtration and just want to sell filters when they are not needed.

Maybe you are drawing on your vast experiences with, what?...a couple of farm tractor engines and a diesel pickup or two. Me? just 40 years experience on Caterpillar and Cummins.

For anybody who cares to see a couple of data pictures, pictures of PowerPoint slides used in some presentations on the values of bypass filtration compared to products that claim that high efficiency full flow filtration is better protection that systems that employ bypass filtration, I will be glad to send you pix. This forum does not allow me to cut and paste or I would post them here. Send me a note to: radioham96@gmail.com

/ synthetic oil filter #38  
I know I know sounds weird but It is true. Do you have oil leaks and are you using synthetics when you should not be. The change to a conventional oil and see if the leaks slow down also seal damage can happen with synthetics. Tony

Tony, you are "right on" about this one!:) What actually happens is that shaft seals in particular take a compression set. That means the elastomer has property changes that cause the seal to lose some of its elasticity. When synthetic lubricants are used with those seals that have worked well with the mineral oil, the synthetic lube and seal combination are not a good match since the material has changed. Replacing old seals with new seals and running synthetic lubes will work very well. Just becomes an issue if you switch back to mineral oil based lubricants.

/ synthetic oil filter #39  
fieldserviceengineer is most correct about bypass filtering.

It seem apparent that good number of people have never seen any bypass filtration. If you know the concept of bypass filtration, you would know from good common sense that it is a good thing. And yes, it does cost more. The bypass filter on my engine was 1 micron, and it would filter everything larger than 1 micron, and that include the normal crud laying on the crankcase of any engine. If you have ever seen the comparison between the same engines with and with out bypass filtration, then you would know what is so good about bypass filtering. I don't know for sure, but probably a synthetic bypass filter would be even better, but in reality, 1 micron is 1 micron. For those that don't know, a bypass filter only filters a small portion of the oil pump volume, but over time will filter the complete oil supply over and over. If the bypass filter is added to a new engine, then you have the best system for filtering that you can get, and you will probable never see any crud on the bottom of the engine. However if you add a bypass oil filtration to a used engine , it will begin to filter the old oil down to a 1 micron level and throughly clean the oil, but will not breakup and release the crud on the bottom of the old engine. You can add a bypass to any engine, and it will be better than it was for sure. Just MHO.

/ synthetic oil filter #40  
Perhaps you would care to share how you have come to "know" that bypass filtration systems do not work. What do you know that Cummins apparently has not learned in their use of bypass filtration on all of their engine models from the C series (now ISC) on up to the QSK78 Liter mine truck engine? How is it that you have stumbled onto the secret that bypass filtration is a rip off thrust on an unsuspecting public to sell filters? How is it that truck and mining maintenance management have not been able to see through this "smoke screen" of bypass filtraton? Could it be that engines like the MTU 4000 (2700 HP V16) that uses a centrifuge (type of bypass) oil cleaning system as does Caterpillar for some engine applications...could they also be wrong about bypass filtration and just want to sell filters when they are not needed.

Maybe you are drawing on your vast experiences with, what?...a couple of farm tractor engines and a diesel pickup or two. Me? just 40 years experience on Caterpillar and Cummins.

For anybody who cares to see a couple of data pictures, pictures of PowerPoint slides used in some presentations on the values of bypass filtration compared to products that claim that high efficiency full flow filtration is better protection that systems that employ bypass filtration, I will be glad to send you pix. This forum does not allow me to cut and paste or I would post them here. Send me a note to: radioham96@gmail.com

LOL-- Here we go with all the "assume this and that". I did not say bypass is a rip off so please Mr Eng do nto assume. Most time a bypass is a waste since the filter and UOA will cost MORE then a complete oil change.

OH, the cummins I deal with are in gov trucks and do not use your magical by-pass filters; nor does it tell you a certain intervals for drains..But I bet you know that since you have 40 magical years at some job..I also do not put much faith in Cimmins since I have seen the issues on there engines in MRAP etc.

If you have come proof that using a bypass will engine an engine life, show all. So far, no one on ANY forum, any sales person, any UOA house etc can show me. That is like saying using a synthetic will make your engine last longer..