oil type

/ oil type #1  

kromain26

My husaband just purchased farmall super s tractor but wants to change the oil but is not sure what kind to use can someone please let me know thanks

/ oil type #2  
The lubricating quality of the oil those old tractors used was very inferior to today's oils. If you want to give the old girl a treat put in some good synthetic oil. My guess is that it's beyond the warranty period. ha ha.

/ oil type #3  
First off, what oil are you looking to change, engine, transmission, hydraulics?

/ oil type #4  
If you are talking motor oil I would try and find what the manufacturer suggested. I will email you the names of several sites where that info is common knowledge. In my old IH 1066 International Corp said to use 30 weight oil, that's what I put in it. I buy it at the local IH dealership.

/ oil type #5  
Manufacturer's suggested oils for that tractor will be WAY out of date. In my old Gravely, I put synthetic oil in it. After about the 3rd change, it was no longer using oil.

Most modern synthetic is a 0w30 Mobil 1. This is what I'm using in all my engines now, even the 1983 Benz diesel. It's manual calls for 10w40. That was the best of multi grade oils available in 1983.

The lower-numbered (e.g. the "0" in the 0w30) values will give the engine better protection at start because the oil pump will pick it up immediately. ALL oils will be heavier at startup than the last number (e.g. the "30" in the 0w30) in their weight designation.

/ oil type #6  
Older air cooled engines required single weight oils and multi viscosity non synthetic oils killed their fair share of lawn mowers 'cause that's what charlie homeowner had in the garage. I'm a firm believer in synthetic oil in my auto but I still use good old SAE 30w in my mowers and other old engines.

/ oil type #7  
My husaband just purchased farmall super s tractor but wants to change the oil but is not sure what kind to use can someone please let me know thanks

most of my tractors are the same vintage as that old farmall.

Depending on oil pressure and climate.. anything from 30w to 40w or 15w40 or 20w50 will likely work. in cold areas or with a real tight engine.. 10w30 would probably work.

event he stuff you find at jiffy stores today is leaps and bounds better thasn what they had in the 30-60's.

soundguy

/ oil type #8  
Welcome to the great oil debate. You may never get the answer you want.........

Just be glad some distributer for(nameless) oil hasn't chimed in.

/ oil type #9  
I would go to Wal-Mart and get some Shell Rotella 15w40. It's a great heavy duty oil for gas or diesel engines and it's cheap at the mart.

/ oil type #10  
Heck.. you can get motorcraft 15w40 PSD oil at walmart...

soundguy