Special tool for oil sump

/ Special tool for oil sump #1  

gennien

Hi, I am new to the forum, I am from Malta, i own a Mitsubishi loader, and it has a special sump plug, which is not a normal hex or torx key. At first I thought it was a torx, but a torx has 6 points and this one has 8 points, and it has a star geometrical shape. the lenght from one point to the oppisite of the other side is 27mm.
photo042609002q.jpg

Could someone point me to were i could buy a tool for this special key. All help is appreciated. Thanks

/ Special tool for oil sump #2  
Looks to me to be a star socket.
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Not sure if they would call them that there or not. But Ive started to see that there allot of these used recently.
I would be hoping that the poster, I forget his name with the car doing a burn out will weigh in on this I'm sure he would know..

/ Special tool for oil sump #3  
Welcom gennien

Try a 3/8" or 1/2" ratchet with 8 points it wil take a square type of drive and should work fine ot a sutiable piece of key stock (square) and and open end wrench
tom

/ Special tool for oil sump #4  
Like others have said try a piece of square stock and once it is out either find out what thread and pitch and get another plug or if you can not find something standard have a nut welded on the plug so you can now use a standard socket or wrench.

One other thought is a large flat blade screwdriver or like tool with maybe a pair of vise grips clamped on to get it out then find a replacement or weld on a nut.

Chris

/ Special tool for oil sump #5  
It is a serrated wrench; most are 12 point (triple square), but there are also 8 point models (double square). All are metric; and a piece of square metric stock will work if it can grab enough surface to not strip the head. Lots of old German cars use the 12 pt serrated versions.

EDIT: In the US, KD Tools makes at least the 12 pt version, so they might make the 8 pt also.............

/ Special tool for oil sump
Hi, thanks for your replies. A serrated wrench is what it looks like to be, i am not sure if i could find such a large size ~25mm.

Thanks for your help

/ Special tool for oil sump #7  
3/8 standard drive will fit that, and since it is a drain plug, it will not be so tight that you will need an 8 point.
Just use a ratchet handle like was previously posted. KennyV.