Disposal/Use of Old Gas?

/ Disposal/Use of Old Gas? #1  

hobie

Silver Member
Tractor
Jazee One
I have about 4 gallons of old gas, and am wondering what to do with it. Any safe legal solutions? Thanks, Brian

/ Disposal/Use of Old Gas? #2  
Mix your old fuel 50/50 with fresh fuel and burn it in your mower. Do yourself a favor and use fuel stabilizer, it won't affect performance and will extend the storage life of your fuel by at least a few months.

/ Disposal/Use of Old Gas? #3  
I store 5 gallons of gas in the carriage house as added backup for my generator. About every 6 months, I pour it into my pickup and buy fresh. I put Stabil into the fuel when I buy it in containers.

If the fuel causes any trouble just mixing it in, just buy some Chevron Techron and put it in the tank where you put the fuel. Alternatively, just use good name brand fuel. When I bought my 2005 Tacoma, I think the fuel injectors were fouled from (probably) use of non-major-brand gasoline. It only got 22 mpg on the highway. Gradually, it has risen from 22 to 23.5 to 24ish to now 27ish and may higher on this tankful (went 160 miles on 1st quarter tank; higest before was 150). Steady use of Exxon regular has cleaned out the injectors. It has power now at 32 mph in 4th and 42 mph in 5th. When I first bought it, the thing was gutless until at least 35 and 45 respectively. Major brand fuel suppliers have to pass BMW's very stringent fuel system cleanliness test at 100k miles (essentially NO deposits).

This is a 4cyl, acess cab, 2wd Tacoma. The old 1996 averaged 27.4 mpg over 90k miles. They're both rated 26 mpg EPA highway. This newer one is 300 # heavier but has direct injection and a viscous fan.

Ralph

/ Disposal/Use of Old Gas? #4  
Do as other say and mix it at a ratio of 1 gallon old to 5 gallons or so of fresh.

Chris

/ Disposal/Use of Old Gas?
Thanks very much guys! I'll try the 1 to 5 mix. Brian

/ Disposal/Use of Old Gas? #6  
Do you have any brush to dispose of? I keep all my stale gas and mix it with used oil or diesel and use it to start my brush piles.

/ Disposal/Use of Old Gas?
Unfortunately burning season ended yesterday. I'd rather burn it in the mower if I can.

/ Disposal/Use of Old Gas? #8  
I once obtained a jerry can with about 2 gal of old gas in it but a fair bit of water. I waited till the winter, poured a very long trail of it down the middle of the laneway and lit it. Maybe it was dumb but there was no risk of fire spread and I had no idea how else to get rid of it. The mixing idea is a good one if the fuel is not contaminated.

/ Disposal/Use of Old Gas? #9  
Unfortunately burning season ended yesterday. I'd rather burn it in the mower if I can.

Yup, it ended on 4/30 but throw it on brush and then when the FD stops, opps I did not know and they walk away..Or do it on a middle of a weekday when people work...Done...

Mower with old corn fuel? Bring to Chinamart and say it is oil...Opps, did I say that..

/ Disposal/Use of Old Gas? #10  
i normally dump it in one of the cars with a near full tank of fresh fuel.