Conversion of 250 gal gas storage tank with metered pump to off road diesel tank

/ Conversion of 250 gal gas storage tank with metered pump to off road diesel tank #1  

Coyote machine

Tractor
22 SANY SY 50U, '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 BB, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Brush Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy
I have an offer from my builder to buy his son's used 250-275 gallon (above ground) gas tank. It has a metered 120v electric pump already installed.
Any suggestions as to what to do to insure safe use of it with off road diesel for my new tractor?
I do plan on putting in an inline filter- would like to know where to install it and what parts, where to get them, etc.
Any positive input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

CM

/ Conversion of 250 gal gas storage tank with metered pump to off road diesel tank #2  
Just drain it of as much gas as you can. The remove the hose and drain it. Install new filter after the pump but before the hose and have it filled 95% full of diesel. I like to leave a little room for expansion. When you have it filled pour in 1 jug per 250 gallons or so of Power Serve in the White Bottle, or equivalent product from another brand (follow the directions). I would then place the nozzle in the fill hole and fire up the pump and run it for 5 minutes or so to get any residual gas mixed well with the diesel and you will be good to go. Make sure you get a filter with a low point drain. This way you can check it periodically for water.

Also if the tank has a fitting at a low point you may want to pull it and drain it there to start and I would even put in a quality ball valve for future use and draining off water if that ever happens. If you do put in a ball valve make sure its a good quality brass one and place a cap or plug in the output for safety. I have a kid that would open mine draining out my fuel. I would also place the tank up on something link cinder blocks and if there is a low point drain that you can put a ball valve in I would pitch the tank slightly toward it for draining purposes. Even if inside tanks form water, especially metal which I assume this is, from condensation. So the water issue is real.

Chris

/ Conversion of 250 gal gas storage tank with metered pump to off road diesel tank #3  
CM, how much fuel do plan to go through ?

/ Conversion of 250 gal gas storage tank with metered pump to off road diesel tank
Diamondpiolot,
The idea of running the diesel back into the tank to mix it with whatever amount of gas may be left in the tank is a good one, as is the ball valve type drain with shutoff/cap to keep it from being drained unless intended.
And having a drain on the filter is also an excellent idea- I know that routine with my boat, as I'm sure you do too.

I will heed you and others suggestions to get it right the first time. Eventually I do plan to store it in my yet to be built heated barn. The barn will have a radiant floor slab to keep the VT winter from being too cold to work on the tractor if need be during the cold months.

Will,
I plan to use as little fuel as possible, and I don't think I'll go through a tank in a year- I was planning on starting out with the 100 gallon minimum for my supplier to deliver to me; it would allow me to get any tank residual gas/water issues straightened out before I fill the tank.
What are your thoughts on 100 gallons vs. full tank fill?

Thanks,

CM

/ Conversion of 250 gal gas storage tank with metered pump to off road diesel tank #5  
1*I plan to use as little fuel as possible, and I don't think I'll go through a tank in a year-
2*I was planning on starting out with the 100 gallon minimum for my supplier to deliver to me; it would allow me to get any tank residual gas/water issues straightened out before I fill the tank.
3*What are your thoughts on 100 gallons vs, a full tank fill?
Thanks,
CM
1*How many gallon a month does that equal.:) Would be easier if we had a numerical No. to go/judge by.
2*I try to use what ever amount I get within 1.5 years but preferably 1 year.
3*Filling the tank less than 1/2 full could cause more water to condense in the fuel.

/ Conversion of 250 gal gas storage tank with metered pump to off road diesel tank #6  
   / Conversion of 250 gal gas storage tank with metered pump to off road diesel tank
I do not have any idea how much fuel I will use but I know I've put 30 hours on the machine since I bought it on 4/24/09 and I've just begun to start using it to do all that is left from 25 years of waiting to have a tractor to call MINE! {NO touchy my tractor!:D}
I hear you on the less than full concept for the storage tank- but sa tank can't be full all the time and what about teh water fuel seperator on the tank,( that I WILL BE INSTALLING) AND THE TRACTOR'S FILTER- DON'T THOSE TWO PRETTY MUCH ELIMINATE THE PROBLEM- AS MUCH AS MOISTURE IN THE AIR CAN BE ELIMINATED? (Sorry for caps- I'm an idiot hunt/peck typist:rolleyes: )

/ Conversion of 250 gal gas storage tank with metered pump to off road diesel tank #9  
I do not have any idea how much fuel I will use but I know I've put 30 hours on the machine since I bought it on 4/24/09 and
1*I've just begun to start using it to do all that is left from 25 years of waiting to have a tractor to call MINE! {NO touchy my tractor!:D}
I hear you on the less than full concept for the storage tank-
2* but a tank can't be full all the time
3*What about the water fuel seperator on the tank,( that I WILL BE INSTALLING) AND THE TRACTOR'S FILTER- DON'T THOSE TWO PRETTY MUCH ELIMINATE THE PROBLEM- AS MUCH AS MOISTURE IN THE AIR CAN BE ELIMINATED?
(Sorry for caps- I'm an idiot hunt/peck typist:rolleyes: )
1*In Nov of 2004 when I bought my new BX23 I had 30 or 35 years of neglect to deal with due to not having a tractor all those years to keep the place up with.
I Put over a 1000 hours on the bx in the first 3 years I had it.
2*Rite but if you only half fill it it will be less full more often for longer periods.
3*They filters are great;but eliminating as much moisture as possible to start with is even better.