design of 55 gal. fuel station

/ design of 55 gal. fuel station #1  

HCJ

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800 4WD
I realize this topic has been covered many times, but I need a good way to pick up diesel and fill tractor. If I use a 55 gal drum with a Tuthill rotary hand pump, will an inline filter cause too much resistance? Can someone explain or better yet show pictures of a 55 gallon drum plumbed wtih a manual pump and a filter. What pump and what filter is best? GIJoe's design on a previous thread looks ideal to me, but I can't weld a frame such as his. How do I rig a manual pump, filter, and plain drum? I would think there would be a simple way to do this. I would consider a 12V. pump but using a hand pump seems less bother, especially considering my use of only 10 or so gal. weekly. I just hate transporting 5 gal. containers! Please show me some pictures of how you rig your drums. Thanks!

/ design of 55 gal. fuel station #3  
I'm looking for a solution to exactly the same problem. Extremely interested in your solutions, especially the pictures ! Thanks.

/ design of 55 gal. fuel station #4  
I'm also interested in any solutions. I just bought my drum last week and filled it last night on the way home ($1.68 for offroad). I had thought about just getting the manual pump from Harbor Freight and be done with it.

/ design of 55 gal. fuel station #6  
I realize this topic has been covered many times, but I need a good way to pick up diesel and fill tractor. If I use a 55 gal drum with a Tuthill rotary hand pump, will an inline filter cause too much resistance? Can someone explain or better yet show pictures of a 55 gallon drum plumbed wtih a manual pump and a filter. What pump and what filter is best? GIJoe's design on a previous thread looks ideal to me, but I can't weld a frame such as his. How do I rig a manual pump, filter, and plain drum? I would think there would be a simple way to do this. I would consider a 12V. pump but using a hand pump seems less bother, especially considering my use of only 10 or so gal. weekly. I just hate transporting 5 gal. containers!
*Please show me some pictures of how you rig your drums. Thanks!
*Lots of pictures in the thread link I posted.

I'm looking for a solution to exactly the same problem. *Extremely interested in your solutions, especially the pictures ! Thanks.
*There are pictures of both the set ups i built included in the link I posted.

1*I'm also interested in any solutions. I just bought my drum last week and filled it last night on the way home ($1.68 for offroad).
2* I had thought about just getting the manual pump from Harbor Freight and be done with it.
1*it's all there in the link i posted.
2*Yer not done with anything with a manual pump.
If it is worth setting up a drum it's worth an elect pump.
I highly recommend a 12 volt one.

/ design of 55 gal. fuel station #8  
I realize this topic has been covered many times, but I need a good way to pick up diesel and fill tractor. If I use a 55 gal drum with a Tuthill rotary hand pump, will an inline filter cause too much resistance? Can someone explain or better yet show pictures of a 55 gallon drum plumbed wtih a manual pump and a filter. What pump and what filter is best? GIJoe's design on a previous thread looks ideal to me, but I can't weld a frame such as his. How do I rig a manual pump, filter, and plain drum? I would think there would be a simple way to do this. I would consider a 12V. pump but using a hand pump seems less bother, especially considering my use of only 10 or so gal. weekly. I just hate transporting 5 gal. containers! Please show me some pictures of how you rig your drums. Thanks!

I did exactly what you described about 5 years ago. I got a hand pump, a Goldenrod filter, some black iron pipe and a 55 gallon drum from our local fuel supplier and made a fueling station. I actually have two stations, one for diesel for my Ford 4610 and one for gas that serves my Ferguson TO-30 and the lawn tractor. I bought fuel hose at the local farm supply store put the filter in line with the pump outlet and hooked the hose to that. It's that simple. I bought a drum lifting device from Harbor Freight for $16 and I use it with a chain on the FEL to lift the full drum out of the pick up when I refill it.

/ design of 55 gal. fuel station #9  
Pictures of the set up I built in May of 2008.

Photos of the set up I built in Nov.of 2008.

Unloading a 55 gallon drum of fuel off my Pick up.

The great thing about this is there is no moving or lifting of drums of fuel.

/ design of 55 gal. fuel station #10  
I did exactly what you described about 5 years ago. I got a hand pump, a Goldenrod filter, some black iron pipe and a 55 gallon drum from our local fuel supplier and made a fueling station. I actually have two stations, one for diesel for my Ford 4610 and one for gas that serves my Ferguson TO-30 and the lawn tractor. I bought fuel hose at the local farm supply store put the filter in line with the pump outlet and hooked the hose to that. It's that simple. I bought a drum lifting device from Harbor Freight for $16 and I use it with a chain on the FEL to lift the full drum out of the pick up when I refill it.

Thanks Jerry, do you have your filter assembly attached to the tank or does it just lay on top or dangle free? Also does the filter restrict the flow enough to slow down the pumping process? I was thinking about making a metal frame for the drum so that I would not have to use a lifting device and so that I could attach the filter to the frame. I might even design it like a hand truck with wheels so that once lifted off my truck, I could more easily roll it in place (my floor is rough gravel and dirt). What do you think?