Grease gun

/ Grease gun #1  

deere5105

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 John Deere 5303 MFWD
I have reviewed some of the previous posts on the topic and have the following questions: 1. Has anyone purchased a pistol type grease gun and wished they would have went with the lever type? 2. Based on experience, how many times has anyone found a grease fitting would not take grease from a pistol type gun and would from a lever type?

My situation is I donated my lever type Lincoln grease gun to a friend whose grease gun fell apart and now I need to replace it. I, like many others, have had difficulty trying to operate the lever type with a whip hose. I prefer the whip hose for it's ability to reach hard to access fittings, but do not like the operation of the lever gun in that you need three hands to operate it if you need to hold the hose on the fitting. I am currently looking at a Lincoln #1134 for $50 and a John Deere #TY26517 for $30. The Lincoln has a rated 7500 psi and the John Deere 5000 psi. I like the Lincoln tools, but question if I will actually realize a benefit of having 2500 psi more pressure. The $20 difference in price is not a deal breaker. Not that it will matter, but the primary purpose of this gun will be to lube my tractor and various implements using John Deere SD Polyurea grease. A manual gun is what I am looking for.

This is my first post to the site, but have been following along as a guest for quite awhile. I always look forward to seeing the opinions and advice given on other peoples issues. I would appreciate any advice or recommendations you may have. Thanks.

/ Grease gun #2  
I'm not at home where I can check...but I believe I recently purchased the LINCOLN gun you mentioned. Paid $43 w/discount at a Tractor Supply. It seems to hold on to the zerk's almost too well. I'm guessing as it wears IN a bit it will loosen it's grip.
I went on a greasing SPREE a few weeks ago and it worked on EVERYHING I lubed. It seems to keep it's grasp on the fittings allowing one hand to hold the gun and the other to pump the handle.

I've also got a small pistol grip gun but if the fitting is plugged even a bit it can't get the grease IN. I surely like the new gun!

FN in MT

/ Grease gun #3  
All possibly but at least some tips on grease guns are adjustable for the Zerk fitting. You may find you can tighten your's if it has problem remaining on the fitting while greasing it. It also can be due to damaged fitting. I have found on some fittings where the grease is going into a seal area if you pump enough grease to build up pressure the gun can be very hard to remove from the Zerk fitting. This can even be a shaft if there is load against it creating a sealed area. There is also the option of a extra long flexible hose where you almost certainly can lay the gun on a stable surface while you pump it with one hand and hold the hose with another.

/ Grease gun #4  
I have a 1134. Its a VERY good gun. Using it i can get grease into all fittings, ones that my old crappy Plews couldnt. Yes its a bit of money, but the extra PSI is worth it, plus its of alot heaver construction.

I love pistol types. I dont think id ever go back to lever. The only upgrade i might consider, would be going to one of Lincoln's Power Lubers but their $$$.

The 1134 comes with a adjustable zerk fitting. You need to loosen it up and sdjust it to your zerks,. You may need pliers as its quite tight from the factory.

/ Grease gun #5  
My favourite grease gun is a pistol type, air tool and works great. I have a lever one also but lent it to a relative and haven't seen it since. I don't miss the lever one at all.

/ Grease gun
So it seems no one has any negative feed back on the pistol type. The more I have thought on the matter the more I find myself leaning toward the Lincoln. My thoughts seem to be that the pistol type with 7500 psi compared to the lever type at 10000 psi is not much of a comprimise and the pistol type should allow one hand to be free to hold the hose on the zerk if needed. Is the pistol type very hard to pump with one hand?

/ Grease gun #7  
I just got so mad at my old lever grease guns that I went out and bought a new Lincoln 1133 pistol grip and a Lincoln 1162 pneumatic pistol grip. I will NEVER buy another or have another lever type gun because I will never have 3 arms.

You can actually control how hard it is to squeeze the manual pistol grip by using an NLGI #1 grease rather than #2. The NLGI #1 grease is sometimes 3x easier to dispense and is particularly good for tight joints.

/ Grease gun #8  
About two months ago one of my many countless grease guns failed again. For sure I don't have time for a tool so simple to fail. So I got totally fed up with grease guns. I researched TBN and many suggested a Lincoln 1442 cordless. I got a Lincoln 1442 about three weeks ago. It's by far the best grease gun I have ever used. Cordless or anything else. It's a bit expensive. $204.00 from Northern Tool including S&H. We will see how well it holds up.

/ Grease gun #9  
I also agree and the Lincoln cordless is the best grease gun that I have ever owned.The only negative is the short lifespan of the batteries and they are pricey when you need a replacement,I finally ran a cord off of mine and hook it to the tractor battery.It's a bit of a pain but,beats buying over priced portables.
I will say this, the grease gun is probably the least improved tool in a 100 years.I can't believe that we're still doing it like Henry Ford.
The Lincoln power luber is good but,I don't really like any of them.
IMHO of course....Mike.

/ Grease gun #10  
I have been using the harbor freight battery powered grease gun (about $50) and have been quite impressed with the battery life. It keeps throwing grease for as long as the trigger is pressed.

jmf