Fuel Oil vs #1 or #2 Diesel

/ Fuel Oil vs #1 or #2 Diesel #1  

yooperdave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tool Cat 5600, LS XJ2025H, Branson 4215HC
What are the specific differences between fuel oil, #1 & #2 diesel?

Can a diesel engine run on fuel oil?

Can #1 or #2 diesel be used as fuel oil?

TIA

Yooper Dave

/ Fuel Oil vs #1 or #2 Diesel #2  
I've made a lot of post on the matter.
Do a search on me under Oil, Fuel & Lubricants .
What are the specific differences between fuel oil, #1 & #2 diesel?

Can a diesel engine run on fuel oil?

Can #1 or #2 diesel be used as fuel oil?

TIA

Yooper Dave
It's all the same thing :It's just called different names.

/ Fuel Oil vs #1 or #2 Diesel #3  
got no clue what "fuel oil" is but #1 diesel is a blend of diesel made for cold climates 32 and down, #2 diesel is for warm climates. both have additives in them to help them burn right to make it simple. If your running a moden tractor, say 98 and up i would use what your supose to so you dont dry anything out. diesel fuel also lubricates as it goes through the different fuel system areas (pumps, injecotrs, presure valves)

/ Fuel Oil vs #1 or #2 Diesel #4  
I used to run my diesel car (many years ago) on fuel oil with no adverse affects.

#1 diesel has a shorter hydrocarbon chain than #2 diesel (i.e., they are chemically different). They are definitely different products and are separated at different points in the "cracking" process of crude oil. There are also other diesel produtcs that not used on the road (3# and #4). The less refined the crude, the more energy the biproduct contains, and the less energy needed to produce the product. #1 diesel is more refined than #2 and has about 5% less energy.

I was looking for a good internet source on this subject but couldn't find one. My father was a petroleum engineer and this is what he told me about diesel fuel when I bought my first diesel car many years ago. At that time diesel was about 20% cheaper than gasoline

/ Fuel Oil vs #1 or #2 Diesel #5  
#2 fuel oil ( there are different grades of that also) and #2 AG fuel ( both contain red dye) are identical! My farmer buddy last year ordered his and I called the same distributor to order my fuel oil. They had the fuel oil ( home heating oil) priced 30 cents a gallon HIGHER..?? When I asked them ..#1 WHY...their answer was "thats just how we price it"...and when I asked them..#2."whats the difference in the two of them"...their answer was "none".

I ordered 450 gallons of #2 AG fuel.

/ Fuel Oil vs #1 or #2 Diesel #6  
You need to check with your local supplier. Have seen this very question discussed elsewhere and in the end turned out some locals suppliers have different labels on fuel oil and diesel #2 on same product. Some had different products or at least slightly different products.

/ Fuel Oil vs #1 or #2 Diesel #7  
Here #2 Fuel Oil, Off Road Diesel and Highway Diesel are all the same.

/ Fuel Oil vs #1 or #2 Diesel #8  
Here #2 Fuel Oil, Off Road Diesel and Highway Diesel are all the same.

Same thing here in my part of Indiana. The only difference is red dye in the Off Road stuff and Fuel Oil.

Chris

/ Fuel Oil vs #1 or #2 Diesel #9  
got no clue what "fuel oil" is but #1 diesel is a blend of diesel made for cold climates 32 and down, #2 diesel is for warm climates. both have additives in them to help them burn right to make it simple. If your running a moden tractor, say 98 and up i would use what your supose to so you dont dry anything out. diesel fuel also lubricates as it goes through the different fuel system areas (pumps, injecotrs, presure valves)

They used to blend either #1 or Kerosene with #2 to make a winter blend of Diesel but we only use "treated" #2 now.

/ Fuel Oil vs #1 or #2 Diesel #10  
# 1 fuel oil = kerosene, pretty much = jet fuel (possibly)

# 2 fuel oil = diesel, pretty much. Main difference are cetane spec on diesel and lower pour point spec on diesel. Think cetane drives it to contain more virgin crude diesel while pour point spec drives it to be more cracked material (by product from cracking heavier feeds to make gasoline).

Your diesel engine can burn all these as long as you don't overdo the kerosene/#1 content, particularly in warmer weather. Generally, you can run up to about 50% kerosene. Fuel usage will be higher because there's less energy content in kerosene.

#2 fuel oil would have more tendency to gel in winter. Can correct this by using about 0.15% of a diesel additive that reduces pour point.

Ralph