Red Farm Diesel....over 500ppm

/ Red Farm Diesel....over 500ppm #1  

CAB/AIR5225

Silver Member
Tractor
2011 John Deere 5065M
This is the first time I have had this available to me close enough to drive my tractor to. I used to fill up, then add a bottle of PowerService.....Do I need to add any PS with the red farm diesel?

/ Red Farm Diesel....over 500ppm #3  
My MF shop foreman stongly recommended that I run some type of additive or add 2 stroke engine oil(16oz to 20gal) to my fuel. They have been seeing a few instances of problems with the low sulfur fuel. There are a couple of discussions other than the one listed that talk about it also.

/ Red Farm Diesel....over 500ppm #4  
Low sulphur diesel is 500 ppm - the old diesel fuel spec was more like 3,000 or 5,000 ppm. the new ultra low sulpur diesel is 15ppm.. I am assuming you are talking about the 3k to 5k ppm fuel.

Are you adding PS for for winter protection or for lubricity?? If the fuel is above 3k ppm you dont need the lubricity (but it wont hurt anything to add ps). But you would still probably want to treat it for winter time use.

Brian

/ Red Farm Diesel....over 500ppm
I have always added a bottle of PS with EVERY fillup. I use my tractor year round here in Oklahoma. The tag on the red farm fuel said "may contain more than 500 ppm"......what I dont know is...how much more?

/ Red Farm Diesel....over 500ppm #6  
I have always added a bottle of PS with EVERY fillup. I use my tractor year round here in Oklahoma. The tag on the red farm fuel said "may contain more than 500 ppm"......what I dont know is...how much more?

I believe that's the rough estimate. Sounds like its Low Sulfur diesel which is still good stuff, you won't have the problems like with ULSD. I don't think they're even producing the x000 ppm diesel anymore. I would still dump some Power Service in any diesel fuel, whether its LSD or ULSD.

/ Red Farm Diesel....over 500ppm #7  
Are you implying that there is a difference between dyed and un-dyed diesel (other than price) ?

/ Red Farm Diesel....over 500ppm #8  
I thought that dyed diesel was just plain diesel with dye added??? Does the refinery have different specs for road diesel versus off road??

/ Red Farm Diesel....over 500ppm #9  
Where I live, off road diesel is just ULSD dyed red.

/ Red Farm Diesel....over 500ppm #10  
I think that at the moment the only difference between plain and red diesel is that the dye is added to one, along with the price. I believe that both are ULSD now. But, not long after the time when most of the retail pumps changed to ULSD, LSD was still readily available in the red dye form for off road use.