Slow diesel starting until...

/ Slow diesel starting until... #1  

Skyco

Elite Member
I've noticed the last few months my 96 Ford with the 7.3 Powerstroke and my 2007 BX24 have been slow to start, ie longer than normal crank times.

I used to add Powerservice (silver bottle Diesel Kleen) to all my diesel fuel but had quit awhile back.

Well....started adding it again to boost the cetane and am amazed at how much less starter time is needed now.

I've noticed the few places around here that post their cetane rating are down to 40 where they used to be 45 in the past. It sure makes a difference in starting times to boost it up with an additive.

One reason I had quit with the Powerservice is my lead always come back much higher in oil analysis on the Powerstroke when I run it. Still not sure if that is really a problem, IOW so it jumps form say 4 to 10, does that mean the bearings will die in 499,000 miles instead of 500,000 or what? If so , big deal.

/ Slow diesel starting until... #2  
If your using a premium labeled diesel fuel then you should never have to add anything to boost the cetane level. Fuel meeting National Conference of Weights & Measures (NCWM) 'Premium Diesel' Specification will have a cetane minimum of 47. Fuel meeting the Engine Manufacturers Association (EMA) and The Maintenance Council (TMC) standards for premium diesel fuel will have cetane index by ASTM D4737 45 MIN. and cetane number by ASTM D613 of 50 MIN.

/ Slow diesel starting until...
Haven't seen premium labeled diesel in years around here...
The Texaco at the nearest exit used to have it but quit when they became a Shell several years back.
The Hess near my office used to be labeled 45 but is now labeled 40. Most stations have no label.

/ Slow diesel starting until... #4  
If your using a premium labeled diesel fuel then you should never have to add anything to boost the cetane level. Fuel meeting National Conference of Weights & Measures (NCWM) 'Premium Diesel' Specification will have a cetane minimum of 47. Fuel meeting the Engine Manufacturers Association (EMA) and The Maintenance Council (TMC) standards for premium diesel fuel will have cetane index by ASTM D4737 45 MIN. and cetane number by ASTM D613 of 50 MIN.
Where do you find all these ratings?
Around here Diesel seems to be deisel.

/ Slow diesel starting until... #5  
If it is a premium rated diesel fuel it should be labeled on the pump. Around me there are quite a few that sell it.

/ Slow diesel starting until... #6  
If it is a premium rated diesel fuel it should be labeled on the pump. Around me there are quite a few that sell it.

We used to have Amoco Premier all over but they pulled it from our market this spring due to some refinery issue and tanks for storage. Now we still have a few brands with a rack blend premium product.

/ Slow diesel starting until... #7  
I also just started using the silver bottle Powerservice additive. I read here or another site that the new low sulfur diesel fuel did not have the lubricating ability that diesel fuel used to have. I am certainly no pro when it comes to tractors, but I could tell the difference immediately. It seemed the engine even sounded smoother, and after an hour or so of operation in my older 16hp Yanmar tractor, power seemed to improve as injectors and other fuel system components got the benefit.

Anybody have any insight as to the increased lead in oil issue? Is this a problem?

/ Slow diesel starting until... #8  
I've only used additive 2 to 4 times in the life of our 1983 Benz. Rarely use additive in my 4010's tank. Both start with about one turn of the crankshaft both cold and hot. Both run on a diet of Exxon dino or B5 diesel. Lately, it's been the B5 because it's available at only 2 cents more. The main trick to starting cold diesels is to glow them the right amount and to use a bit of throttle. The Benz just gets glowed until the light goes off on the dash (usually about 4 to 6 seconds in winter); whereas, the JD gets a counted 4-6 seconds in winter and 2 seconds in summer. Both need 1/3 to 1/2 throttle to start and to keep running when it's cold.

/ Slow diesel starting until... #9  
Most diesel additives are also cetane boosters. This lowers the flash point of the diesel fuel like an octane booster for gasoline which makes it easier to start cold. I run Power Service all year round in my tractor and dump truck, white bottle in the winter and gray bottle in the summer.

I wouldn't worry about lead in the oil since lead is a good lubricator, remember the problems when they switched to unleaded fuel.

/ Slow diesel starting until... #10  
Most diesel additives are also cetane boosters. This lowers the flash point of the diesel fuel like an octane booster for gasoline which makes it easier to start cold. .

Uh.. DM.. you might want to check your science there.

Octane rating for a gasser is more of an anti-knock/ping/run on rating. the higher the rating, the HARDER it is to ignite the fuel. That's why some super machines and hi-powered road racers use 100 octane fuel to burn in their high compression , high rpm engines.

Though not a direct comparison.. I see cetane as beaing near opposite of octane..

soundguy