Kioti oil specs API: CC or CD~ Amsoil Diesel OK?

/ Kioti oil specs API: CC or CD~ Amsoil Diesel OK? #11  
Rotella oils are more than adequate for your Kioti; I use Rotella 5W40 synthetic in my 3054 for it's low temp pour qualities for low temp starts. The "cc,cd" specs have been superceded by the higher speced "cf's"etc;the later(higher) the alphabetic letter, the more recent and superior the rating. Seeing as your in Vermont, you need the same low temp performance.If I lived in a warmer climate, I'd use the less expensive "dino" oils available ;)

Um, if you are comparing R5w-40 to a normal / cheap dino you are right..

Comparing R5w-40 to Amsoil 5w-40 is way less on cold temp..

/ Kioti oil specs API: CC or CD~ Amsoil Diesel OK? #12  
Um, if you are comparing R5w-40 to a normal / cheap dino you are right..

Comparing R5w-40 to Amsoil 5w-40 is way less on cold temp..

But Rotella synthetic is SO much less expensive, and I don't think my Korean tractor can tell the difference ;)

/ Kioti oil specs API: CC or CD~ Amsoil Diesel OK? #13  
Rotella oils are more than adequate for your Kioti; I use Rotella 5W40 synthetic in my 3054 for it's low temp pour qualities for low temp starts. The "cc,cd" specs have been superceded by the higher speced "cf's"etc;the later(higher) the alphabetic letter, the more recent and superior the rating. Seeing as your in Vermont, you need the same low temp performance.If I lived in a warmer climate, I'd use the less expensive "dino" oils available ;)

I didn't know there was a differance between regular motor oil and diesel oil. I've been using regular engine oil in mine; 310 hrs. What do you think?

/ Kioti oil specs API: CC or CD~ Amsoil Diesel OK? #14  
I didn't know there was a differance between regular motor oil and diesel oil. I've been using regular engine oil in mine; 310 hrs. What do you think?

There is a difference between the two.. Depending on the brand what you are using MAY be spec'd for a diesel - you would need to look at the bottle and see what "C" rating it has.. And then see what your machine requires..

From glancing at bottles at walmart it seems that most (if not all) motor oils sold for primary gasoline use have a CF rating..

The Rotella's (15w40 and 5w40 synthetic) are rated for current specs for both gas and diesel.

Brian

/ Kioti oil specs API: CC or CD~ Amsoil Diesel OK? #15  
Like SunnyJim, I also use ACD 10W-30/SAE30. I've used it in my Kubota powered Cub Cadet since the late 80's. Excellent low temperature pour point so I never had cold weather starting problems either.

Getting close to my 50 hour service on my BX2350 and I plan on converting everything to synthetic. In fact my front axle GL-4 gear oil, ISO 68 hydraulic oil, and another case of 10W-30 came in today.

kj

/ Kioti oil specs API: CC or CD~ Amsoil Diesel OK? #16  
There is a difference between the two.. Depending on the brand what you are using MAY be spec'd for a diesel - you would need to look at the bottle and see what "C" rating it has.. And then see what your machine requires..

From glancing at bottles at walmart it seems that most (if not all) motor oils sold for primary gasoline use have a CF rating..

The Rotella's (15w40 and 5w40 synthetic) are rated for current specs for both gas and diesel.

Brian
Thanks Brian. I didn't know that.

/ Kioti oil specs API: CC or CD~ Amsoil Diesel OK? #17  
While Shell Rotella may be slighty cheaper, the price difference of Amsoil shouldn't even be a consideration in this topic. The biggest consideration between the two should be the classification and grade of the oil. The biggest reason not to go with the Rotella brand oil is because it's all produced under the new CJ-4 classification. The problem with CJ-4 rated oil is that it's formulated for use in all the new emission controlled diesel truck engines. To get an oil that would work properly and not harm things such as the new DPF's, they had to remove additives that prevent wear in certain parts of the engine to obtain this. While running CJ-4 oil in a pre-emissions diesel will be "ok", I wouldn't do it if CI-4+ oil is still readily available, such as Amsoil's diesel oil. Not to mention, the TBN of a CI-4+ oil is higher than it's CJ-4 counterpart.

I agree that a 5w-40 should be used over a 15w-40 if a tractor is going to see a cold climate, but that would only be the case if the 15w-40 is a regular dino oil. The Amsoil 15w-40 HD Diesel and Marine oil is a fully synthetic oil that will flow better in cold weather than even a dino 5w-40 would. I have an Excursion that I used to run regular Rotella 15w-40 in. When they change the classifications of the oil, I switched to Amsoil 15w-40. The difference is night and day in cold weather performance. The oil pressure will come up much quicker in a cold start than the dino 15w-40 did. So much that I wouldn't even consider the need for Amsoil's 5-40 oil.

/ Kioti oil specs API: CC or CD~ Amsoil Diesel OK? #18  
The several gallons of 5W40 Rotella I have on the shelf are all rated to meet API service: CI-4 PLUS, CI-4,CH-4,CG-4,CF-4,CF/SL. the API service is CI-4/SL CI-4 PLUS. There is a caveat on the lower part of the jug, in red, which states:"Not suitable for use in 2007 model year diesel engines." There is nothing about it meeting a CJ-4 rating on the container? I have enough of this on hand to keep me going for some time. When and if their rating changes, I'll then deside where I want to go with my oil purchases ;)

/ Kioti oil specs API: CC or CD~ Amsoil Diesel OK? #19  
I heard something interesting today. First, if you look, you'll see that I generally use Rotella or Delvac in my diesels. I'm not particularly real big on either, but I don't do any extended intervals between changes. Anyway, the guy I sold my mowing business to about 10 years ago runs all Kubota diesel powered Grasshopper mowers that are basically identical. He did a UOA on one of his Grasshoppers that had Rotella in it and one that had Delvac in it. Both machines have similar hours on them and the used oil was sent in with right at 100 hours of use. The Rotella sample came back with the recommendation of changing oil sooner than the 100 hour interval where the Delvac sample was still well within acceptable ranges.

I'm quite well aware that there are many other factors that could affect how oil wears/lasts in an engine, but I thought it was interesting. I'll see if I can get the specifics from him on his results. He did say that neither oil was anywhere close to the sample he'd sent in with 200 hours on Royal Purple diesel oil. Heck, I didn't even know Royal Purple had diesel oil. :eek: He said that the 200 hour Royal Purple oil sample had more life left in it than the 100 hour Rotella or 100 hour Delvac.

/ Kioti oil specs API: CC or CD~ Amsoil Diesel OK? #20  
First thing is it they are sold at Chinamart, Quality is not in the picture. Price is the driver.

#2 it is WAY hard to complete UOA on one vs the other. In fact, it is worthless since the tol, env etc are diff. Throw that into the mix.

#3 is it is a trade off. Delvac has more ash in it but a better pour. Higher TBN but lower VI.

RP is a better oil but over pimped?Too much Purple Kool-aid drinkers.