Briggs & Stratton Fresh Start Fuel Stabilizer?

/ Briggs & Stratton Fresh Start Fuel Stabilizer? #1  

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
   / Briggs & Stratton Fresh Start Fuel Stabilizer? #2  
I dont know if its an issue or not. Ive always used Sta_bil (even in B&S) and havent had a problem. You'd think that the plastic in modern carbs would be able to handle the relatively small amount of alcohol that stabil would add?

/ Briggs & Stratton Fresh Start Fuel Stabilizer?
I dont know if its an issue or not. Ive always used Sta_bil (even in B&S) and havent had a problem. You'd think that the plastic in modern carbs would be able to handle the relatively small amount of alcohol that stabil would add?

Considering that most gasoline in the Midwest has up to 10% alcohol in it, yes.
Bob

/ Briggs & Stratton Fresh Start Fuel Stabilizer? #4  
What are some features & benefits of Briggs & Stratton Fresh Start Fuel Stabilizer? How does Fresh Start compare with Sta-Bil?

I have been told by my local dealer not to use Sta-Bil in my 4 cycle generator gas when in storage but instead to use the Briggs and Stratton stabilizer. BnS uses mineral oil and Sta-Bil uses alcohol.

Does it matter?
Bob

They're basically the same product; and there is NO alcohol in Sta-Bil(petroleum distillates), but there is in some other fuel stabilizers like Star Tron etc. With the federally mandated ethanol blended fuels we are now saddled with, you don't want to use a stabilizer containing any alcohol :rolleyes:

/ Briggs & Stratton Fresh Start Fuel Stabilizer? #5  
Ahh i see. All our alcohol here comes from the Liquor store, not the gas station :D

/ Briggs & Stratton Fresh Start Fuel Stabilizer? #6  
Ahh i see. All our alcohol here comes from the Liquor store, not the gas station :D

That's where it should be, in pint, quart, or gallon jugs; maybe even throw in a liter here or there, BUT not in gasoline :mad:

/ Briggs & Stratton Fresh Start Fuel Stabilizer? #7  
If you haven't noticed almost all gasoline has 10% (or more) ethanol in it these days as congress passed tax breaks to encourage ethanol usage. The problems are that you are getting less energy in a gallon of blended ethanol/gasoline than you are in straight gas (so your mpg goes down) and the alcohol encourages the formation of deposits in the fuel system (specifically the carbs). These deposits are a major problem for most of the "small" engines used in yard equipment, motorcycles, .... (Check out the ranting on the motorcyle forums)

One product that a lot of folks are having good luck with is "SeaFoam" Sea Foam Story - Sea Foam as a fuel additive. It will stabilize the fuel (I think they claim 2 years) as well as clean deposits.

I am not an employee or have any commercial interest in SeaFoam, but I have had very good personal experiences using this product in outboard boat motors, weed eaters, chain saws, lawn mowers, snowblowers, 650 cc motorcycles, .... as well as it worked wonders for the pinging in a 1997 Ford pickup.

/ Briggs & Stratton Fresh Start Fuel Stabilizer? #8  
Does your local dealer sell the Briggs & Scrap-um stabilizer?, it would make sense if he did by the way he's talking. If he knew anything about Sta-Bil than he would know that right on the bottle it says it "doesn't contain alcohol".

I use Sta-Bil in all my gas power equipment, 2 stroke and 4. The only things that I have that use gas are hand held stuff and a push mower, so I don't need much, but it definitely makes the difference.

/ Briggs & Stratton Fresh Start Fuel Stabilizer?
Does your local dealer sell the Briggs & Scrap-um stabilizer?, it would make sense if he did by the way he's talking. If he knew anything about Sta-Bil than he would know that right on the bottle it says it "doesn't contain alcohol".

I use Sta-Bil in all my gas power equipment, 2 stroke and 4. The only things that I have that use gas are hand held stuff and a push mower, so I don't need much, but it definitely makes the difference.

Yes, he sells the B&S!!!!!!!
I love TBnet. Answers that are good from good people who have been around the block.
Thanks, Bob

/ Briggs & Stratton Fresh Start Fuel Stabilizer? #10  
by Doc_Bob
I have been told by my local dealer not to use Sta-Bil in my 4 cycle generator gas when in storage but instead to use the Briggs and Stratton stabilizer. BnS uses mineral oil and Sta-Bil uses alcohol.

Does it matter?
Bob
Best thing you can do is look at a container of Sta-Bil to see what's in it. You will see there is no alcohol in Sta-Bil. It sounds like a Briggs dealer blowing smoke up you rear so he can sell the Briggs brand fuel stablizer. Briggs and Stratton both make a good fuel stablizer. I've been using Sta-Bil for the last 7 years with no fuel related problems.

by NIdaho
If you haven't noticed almost all gasoline has 10% (or more) ethanol in it these days as congress passed tax breaks to encourage ethanol usage. The problems are that you are getting less energy in a gallon of blended ethanol/gasoline than you are in straight gas (so your mpg goes down) and the alcohol encourages the formation of deposits in the fuel system (specifically the carbs). These deposits are a major problem for most of the "small" engines used in yard equipment, motorcycles, .... (Check out the ranting on the motorcyle forums)

Any gas with any form of alcohol will less miles per gallon. The air-fuel ratio of gas is 14 to 1. The air-fuel ratio of alcohol is 9 to 1. The higher horsepower race cars and tractor pullers use a form of alcohol as their fuel. Ethanol will clean deposits that are inside carbs. The deposits come from all the additives that the big oil puts in their gas is one of the problems. Sterling/BP has the most deposits in their fuel. Fuel over 30 days old is another major problem in small motors.