Grease fitting not taking, shaft frozen

/ Grease fitting not taking, shaft frozen #1  

queen of spades

Silver Member
A machine I bought has a few zerk fittings that wouldn't take oil. I replaced the fittings, but still no grease going into the shaft. Solid dirt was packed where the grease normally goes. The shaft is attached to a frame and is not a bolt & replace part.

I cleaned the packed dirt from the fitting, but grease still wouldn't work itself in. Same gun pumps grease without a hitch in other fittings on the tractor. The part I'm working on is known to seize without frequent lubrication.

Does anyone make high-pressure grease guns for situations like this?

Or has anyone tried to rig up a hydraulic line to force fluid into Zerk openings?

/ Grease fitting not taking, shaft frozen #2  
A machine I bought has a few zerk fittings that wouldn't take oil. I replaced the fittings, but still no grease going into the shaft. Solid dirt was packed where the grease normally goes. The shaft is attached to a frame and is not a bolt & replace part.

I cleaned the packed dirt from the fitting, but grease still wouldn't work itself in. Same gun pumps grease without a hitch in other fittings on the tractor. The part I'm working on is known to seize without frequent lubrication.

Does anyone make high-pressure grease guns for situations like this?

Or has anyone tried to rig up a hydraulic line to force fluid into Zerk openings?

I believe that HF makes a device for injecting oil into grease fittings to break them free. It looks like a tube with a plunger inside. You pull the plunger back and fill the center with oil. and strike the end with a hammer, and it is supposed to open up the grease fittings. I would only try this on the straight grease fittings. If you try this on a 90 degree fitting, you will just break the grease fitting off. This is a type of hydraulic action. You cause a force on one end and a force is applied on the other end.

http://www.wrighttoolcompany.com/st...ce.tpl&product_id=656&category_id=79&vmcchk=1

Last edited:
   / Grease fitting not taking, shaft frozen
I would only try this on the straight grease fittings. If you try this on a 90 degree fitting, you will just break the grease fitting off.

They are all 90 degree fittings, but I'll remember this for the future!

Would I destroy anything by putting pressure from my loader hydraulics into the fitting hole (assuming I can make an adapter)?

/ Grease fitting not taking, shaft frozen #4  
Would I destroy anything by putting pressure from my loader hydraulics into the fitting hole (assuming I can make an adapter)?

Very likely. It's the difference between a split second of high pressure from a hammer blow vs. a few seconds of pressure from a hydraulic line.

I wonder if there's a solvent or penetrating oil like PB blaster that would be a better bet for you.

/ Grease fitting not taking, shaft frozen #6  
I have a grease gun where you can change the pivot point and it has alot more pressure. I don't know if it would have enough for what you need, but it does have quite a bit more power that way.

I wonder if there's a solvent or penetrating oil like PB blaster that would be a better bet for you.

I read about Kroil so I will buy some and try. The shaft I'm trying to free up is about 10" long and an 1" diameter. The single grease fitting is square in the middle.

/ Grease fitting not taking, shaft frozen #8  
There is another trick you might use. As you are trying to insert grease into the fitting, turn the part the grease is supposed to help. If it is a spindle, turn the spindle as you pump. Move the parts around as necessary.

The shaft is frozen, and is part of the suspension. It attaches tracks to the machine body by way of a torsion bar. The shaft goes from the torsion part to the track rail. The tracks slide onto the shaft - no access to the shaft other than the grease fitting.