Fuel delivery problem.

/ Fuel delivery problem. #1  

Bruce.Leech

I have a Deutz D6006. While out bushhogging I started getting intermittent losses of power. MY initial thought was the possibility of water in the filter. It struggled to get back to the house. I changed the filter, started it up (sounded good) drove it approx 300 yds and lost power again. Now the only time I am getting it running (very short time) is by using the priming lift pump. Anyone ever encounter this before? Any advise on which direction to go? One last item of concern, I did have some low sulfer diesel in the tank. While this have that much impact? I appreciate any information you all can provide.

/ Fuel delivery problem. #2  
My tractor did something similar about a year ago. I had just changed the filter so I eliminated that real quick. As it turned out, I had to remove the fuel tank and clean an amazing amount of trash out. I am talking about leaves and large pieces of trash, too large to make it to the filter. They all got plugged up right at the petcock valve.

I would reccomend taking a fuel line loose at the point where it leaves the fuel tank and check the flow there. Then you will know if you need to remove the tank or not.

Right after this incident I invested in a good funnel with a screen in the bottom of it.

GOOD LUCK

/ Fuel delivery problem. #3  
You're on the right rack, a fuel delivery problem is the main cause of these types of problems.

Did you drain and discard the fuel you were running when you changed the filter?
The fuel is most likely you problem.

Is the fuel flow steady from the tank to the filter?
Next question would be, is it water, algae or other debris contamination.

Does your fuel bowl have a water separator and if so did it show water in the bottom of the bowl?

You may want to cut open the old filter to see whats inside and go from there.

Last swag, it's possible you just had a contaminated filter and if so you may try to bleed the fuel system to see if it gets back to running like it did pre-filter change.

Good luck

/ Fuel delivery problem. #4  
Like Dirtroad I ran into the same thing and it was trash in the tank. I was able to loosen up what had accumulated at the outlet of the tank with a long screw driver and it passed through to the filter bowl. Remove your filter, open the valve and see what kind of flow you have. The next step in the chain would be the fuel lift pump. After that it gets expensive.

MarkV

/ Fuel delivery problem.
Dirtroad, Thanks I appreciate your insight!! It has been a busy week and haven' had an opportunity to get back on the tractor yet. Will do in a few days!! Thanks again.

/ Fuel delivery problem.
You're on the right rack, a fuel delivery problem is the main cause of these types of problems.

Did you drain and discard the fuel you were running when you changed the filter?
The fuel is most likely you problem.

Is the fuel flow steady from the tank to the filter?
Next question would be, is it water, algae or other debris contamination.

Does your fuel bowl have a water separator and if so did it show water in the bottom of the bowl?

You may want to cut open the old filter to see whats inside and go from there.

Last swag, it's possible you just had a contaminated filter and if so you may try to bleed the fuel system to see if it gets back to running like it did pre-filter change.

Good luck
Volfandt, Thanks for your info. The bowl does not have a seperator. And in review of the first question, I feel like a dumbass now and have to say NO I didnt even drain any fuel to inspect it!!! ****, talk about having your *** handed to you by yourself!!! :) I'll be getting back on the tractor in a day or two.

Thanks again!!!

/ Fuel delivery problem.
Like Dirtroad I ran into the same thing and it was trash in the tank. I was able to loosen up what had accumulated at the outlet of the tank with a long screw driver and it passed through to the filter bowl. Remove your filter, open the valve and see what kind of flow you have. The next step in the chain would be the fuel lift pump. After that it gets expensive.

MarkV
MarkV,

I appreciate your review as well. I am hoping that the rest of the info provided results otherwise I believe you are correct in stating EXPENSIVE!!!

Thanks again.

/ Fuel delivery problem. #8  
Is your issue taken care of?

If not...do you have a transfer pump?

I had an issue that was similar except my machine would die. Let it sit for while...it would restart and go IF I ran it easy...

Long story short, my transfer pump was near dead and couldn't supply the main fuel pump with sufficient fuel