Diesel in oil?

/ Diesel in oil? #1  

Rockin' G Ranch

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4740 HST with FEL
This weekend after working all day bush hogging I noticed that my oil appears to be less viscous than when I put it in. Yes, the oil was extremely hot from running all day but it still seemed very thin. I just changed the oil and filter last month and I use 10W30 oil. My tractor is a IH 384.
Is ther ANY way that diesel (fuel) could be getting in the oil? Leaks, etc?

/ Diesel in oil? #2  
There a few ways diesel fuel could be getting into the crankcase oil.Any hot oil will seem thin,i.e.less viscous.The key here is are you making oil-as is the oil level rising?If the oil level on the stick is steady,you're probably just fine.Good Luck!

/ Diesel in oil? #3  
blackstone-labs.com

Check out there website, and send a sample in to them, (they are believed to be about the best in testing) and can pretty much tell you every thing that is goin on with your oil. if you do a couple samples at regular intervals, they will tell you if you need to change it more or less often. A really valuable resource in my opinion

/ Diesel in oil? #4  
I believe the proper oil for the 384 diesel is 15-40 with a C rating, does your oil level grow can you smell diesel in oil? if so it could get diesel in through bad diaphram in lift pump or a bad seal in injector pump.

/ Diesel in oil? #5  
Unless working in our -20-30 winters it should be 15-40 oil.....Is the oil level rising ..if it smells of diesel I'd change the lift pump first..?

/ Diesel in oil? #6  
Diesel can be getting in your oil. Most likely it is due to worn injector. Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel will cause more wear on pumps and injectors. To be sure, take an oil sample. Best way, drain oil, wait 3 seconds and catch sample in certified clean container. Send to lab of your choice. Prices range from $15 to $25 per sample. Or you may be able to get sample done at a Speedco. Check to see if they have an Onsite Oil Analyzer. You will know in 5 minutes what is in your oil. Basically a blood test for you equipment. More questions? Contact slickstuff@verizon.net

/ Diesel in oil? #7  
Injector pump on my Ford backhoe did it for me.

For a while, I was kind of happy to be "making oil" then I realized I was making it from Diesel and was a bit less happy :)

Not sure how yours is set up but my injector pump did it on mine.

/ Diesel in oil? #8  
I was gonna ask where he was getting 10w30 C rated oil.. I've heard of it.. but never seen a bottle.. etc.

soundguy

/ Diesel in oil? #9  
I was gonna ask where he was getting 10w30 C rated oil.. I've heard of it.. but never seen a bottle.. etc.

soundguy

Lucky you, you're not old enough. I seem to remember in the '70s have 10W-30W oils rated SF/CD. Ford 300 engine oil, for example.