Extending hard-to-reach zerk

/ Extending hard-to-reach zerk #1  

Arkaybee

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 850; Kubota Grand L 3830
There is a grease zerk on my Kubota ZTR mower deck that is very difficult to reach and my arms get scraped a lot reaching it. Is it possible to remove the zerk and install a flexible extension whose other end could be rigidly mounted at a more convenient location with the zerk in that end of the extension? Then I wouldn't be tempted to skip greasing that zerk (like I am tempted now) when I should grease it each use. Thanks for your help.

ARKAYBEE

/ Extending hard-to-reach zerk #2  
Yes it is done that way quite often.

Some equipment may have a whole row of Zerk's on lines to different areas of the machine.:D

/ Extending hard-to-reach zerk
Thanks for replying.
Yes, that is what I am thinking of. Where can one get those parts?

Arkaybee

/ Extending hard-to-reach zerk #4  
Where I live I'd go to the local hardware store OR a shop that has tubing and hoses with the fittings.:D

/ Extending hard-to-reach zerk #5  
I believe grease fitting thread is 1/8"-27tpi. Basically, 1/8" tapered pipe thread. Remote lube systems usually run a plastic tube to the grease point and mount a plate with a grease fitting on the other end. Go to a local hose shop with the length of hose you need and tell them what you want to do. They should be able to hook you up.

/ Extending hard-to-reach zerk
Will the threads on the Kubota zerk be metric? I would expect them to be. So I should go where they have metric fittings. Would most auto parts stores carry those fittings in metric sizes?

Arkaybee