When do you change your oil?

/ When do you change your oil? #1  

bpsooner

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M5040 with FEL, JD X320 Lawn Tractor
I just completed my 50 hour service and I noticed in the owners manual that the next oil change should be done at 300 hours. That sure does seem like a long time to go between oil changes.
I wanted to get some insight on when others usually change the oil. I was thinking about every 100 hours.

/ When do you change your oil? #2  
I would change mine every 100 hours or once a year, whatever comes first. I generally change mine each fall.

/ When do you change your oil? #3  
On the B3030 I have now and the B7610 that I had before the first change for the engine oil and trans/hydraulic fluid were at 50 hours but the second engine oil change is at 100 hours and the second trans/hydraulic change is at 300 hours. Might be a misprint in your manual?
After the second engine oil change my manual calls for oil changes at every 100 hours.

/ When do you change your oil? #4  
Regular intervals for my 3320 is every 200 hrs, but I know I'll never reach that in a year. Consequently, I just change it once a year and leave it at that. On my Gator the interval is every 100 hrs, but I probably put less then 20 hrs on it per year. I usually will end up changing it about once every 2 years.

/ When do you change your oil? #5  
I would go with every 100hrs. Think of it this way if it was a diesel truck going 50MPH at 100 hrs it would have 5000miles on it.
You could probably go longer without any trouble, but for the price of oil compared to parts and down time would it be worth it?

/ When do you change your oil? #6  
I would change mine every 100 hours or once a year, whatever comes first. I generally change mine each fall.
Why : It seems like I'm changing it every time I turn around at 300 hours.
I just completed my 50 hour service and I noticed in the owners manual that the next oil change should be done at 300 hours. That sure does seem like a long time to go between oil changes.
I wanted to get some insight on when others usually change the oil. I was thinking about every 100 hours.
I just change it like the book says and forget about it.
I figure that's what the book's for.

/ When do you change your oil? #7  

Sounds like the first oil change on a new machine. Follow the manual while under warranty and you can;t go wrong.
Brgds,
tim

/ When do you change your oil? #8  
I wanted to get some insight on when others usually change the oil.* I was thinking about every 100 hours.
*I don't think it's worth 3 times the work time and money so I just go by the operators manual.

/ When do you change your oil? #9  

Now THAT is good advice. 300 hours, for the average estate guy could be 3 or 4 years. That's too long and two many starts and stops, typical of the estate tractor use. Your mileage may vary. Once a year is no financial burden.

/ When do you change your oil? #10  
I change mine once/year in the fall, usually about 50-60 hours now. Used to be near 100 every year. The fall is nicer because stuff doesn't stay hot so long. Drain oil while hot but by the time I get to the filter, it will have cooled off a bit. I plan to do the next one in November.

Ralph