7.3 powerstroke oil change

/ 7.3 powerstroke oil change #11  
I have a 95 f350 4x4 crew cab with 336k and a 01 4x4 excursion with 200k

Dont worry about the draining it - just change the oil with what ever 15w40 diesel oil that is on sale and motor on.

I used the rotella for a while but noticed that my fuel millage would drop off after 3k miles - change to different oil and problem stopped - Check out "thedieselstop" dot com -more info then you will want to read about the 7.3

/ 7.3 powerstroke oil change #14  
Lots of debate on changing the HPOP oil. I do it once a year for good measure

Here is a link you will find interesting

YouTube - powerstrokehelp's Channel

That was a very interesting link. I would have liked to see what the oil he drained out of the oil pan looked like. I wonder if it was as dark and thick as the oil in the HPOP.

I am going to change some of the oil in my HPOP next time I change my motor oil and see if they look the same. If the HPOP oil looks darker or thicker, I probably will change it more often.

/ 7.3 powerstroke oil change #15  
Tallyho
thanks for that link on powerstrokes, I will also take alook at the HPOP res. to see what the oil looks like...I will be interested to hear from you again about what yours looks like also.

/ 7.3 powerstroke oil change
I found and watched the Powerstroke 7.3 youtube vids about changing the oil in the inj tank. That is what got this question thread started. I wanted to check out what other experts had to say. No one around town has ever heard of changing the oil. I've checked it after a oil change and found the oil to be good,not gunky or dirty. I also lost the plug screw. New one cost $7 at the delaer.
After all the discussion, I think the prudent thing to do is not to worry with vacuuming out the oil and changing it every time, but to check the condition after every oil change. If it is in good shape, I believe the oil is getting pumped thru the tank as it should and overflowing back to the sump. No further special action is required. Without the check, there is a chance the overflow may be clogged and prohibiting a good exchange,causing excessive inj wear.
Rgds,
tim

/ 7.3 powerstroke oil change
That whole Powerstroke series on YouTube is very good and is a great reference to learn the engine.
Rgds,
tim

/ 7.3 powerstroke oil change #18  
Ive watched that and all his videos. I just got my 2000 7.3 about 3 months ago and just changed the oil today. I changed the oil and ran it for 5 min. checked the oil with dipstick and was clear. I unscrewed the hpop cap and checked it and it was black. I did as he said and sucked out about 3 quarts one at a time while refilling afterword each time with one quart that i sucked out. Now it is clean. So it seems he is correct in that it does not mix well with the fresh oil change i did . I will always change the hpop oil when i do the oil change for now on just for the piece of mind if anything and it doesnt take to long.