Keep those nipples greased!

/ Keep those nipples greased! #1  

Nothing But Ford

Tractor
Ford 3000 Diesel '73
The guy I bought my tractor from told me that he had just changed the oil and lubricated all points of the machine I was purchasing. However, I have noticed through my own use of it, that things are not sliding quite like they were when I bought it.

I was at Tractor Supply yesterday and I there was no one around to recommend anything to me, so I picked up "Lucas Red-N-Tacky" grease.

Before I go lubing my tractor + front end loader, do any of you have any points for me to consider before I proceed?

/ Keep those nipples greased! #2  
Wipe grease nipple clean before greasing..I like to leave dab of grease covering nibble entrance for protection.

/ Keep those nipples greased! #3  
Excellent advice Thomas

Make sure the zergs aren't pluged if they are you may be able to clean them with an old nail. It's better to over grease then to think it's greased and end up not greasing.

/ Keep those nipples greased! #4  
In case you do run into a plugged zerk fitting, there is a tool that snaps on them and is activated by hammer blow to clear the stuck ball. McMaster Carr used to carry them. The tool is useful for lightly stuck zerks, but will not correct heavy corrosion or other damage.
Rgds,
tim

/ Keep those nipples greased! #5  
I like to put hot wax on my nipples, after I grease and clean them of course. This helps keep dirt and crud from getting inside them. Take a candle with you, just let it drip on until they are coated. Cheap and painless.

/ Keep those nipples greased! #6  
For tie rod ends, or any place that has a rubber boot, DO NOT over grease these. You'll risk blowing the boot. Just grease them until you see a slight "pooch" develop in the boot.

On any other spot, just grease until a small amount comes out.

There are little plastic caps you can buy to put over the grease zerks if you really want to keep them clean. Still a good idea to wipe them first, after you remove the cap.

Ralph

/ Keep those nipples greased! #7  
Hmm. Wonder how one gets wax to drip uphill onto those nipples up underneath the tractor? Leaf blower maybe?

Ralph

/ Keep those nipples greased! #8  
My understanding is you should grease about every 10 hours of use. It would also depend on the use your tractor is getting, hot weather or dusty conditions. Much better to grease more often than run into repairing or replacing parts. I grease my front end loader and backhoe until I see a bit of grease coming out. This way I know there is grease inside. I have also heard one or two squeezes of the grease gun but I do like to see a bit of grease and not trust it is full inside.

/ Keep those nipples greased! #9  
Think the JD owner's manual says every 200 hours. Ten hours is too much.

Ralph

/ Keep those nipples greased! #10  
Deere and the others that recommend longer intervals between greasing also highly recommend using genuine "Deere" or whoever's parts. Kubota says 10 hrs and that seems to work pretty well.It also gives you a good reason to look the rig over,I've caught a lot of problems before they got serious while greasing.