Synthetic oil in small engines

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #1  

Pops15

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 555 TLB, Caterpillar Motor Grader, Kubota L245, Ford LGT 125, FABTEK aerial platform
I have a couple of snowblowers, a generator, 4cycle string trimmer and a power washer. They're 1-3 years old with hours ranging from 2 on one of the snowblowers to maybe 40 on the power washer. I know I should have changed the oil in the power washer already but I haven't. I plan on running synthetic oil in them. Is it safe to run syn in a small engine with only a couple hours on it? Or does it need more break in time?
Any suggestions on brand and grades of syn oil to run in them?
A friend swears by Amzoil. I've never used it but I've used Mobil 1 in my trucks, cars, and in my race car back in the day. I asked a friend thats an engineer for Caterpiller. He said it didn't matter what oil I used because B&S engines would never last more than 2000 hours anyway. Like I want to run a snowblower for 2000 hours. :rolleyes:

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #2  
I run Mobil 1 in all of my small engines. I usually wait until the first oil change time. Does it work? I have never had a problem, but you will never know because you can't do a statistically significant amount of testing. You would have to test 2 sets of many engines (at least 5 and maybe more) with two different kinds of oil and run them to end of life. To make the test more reliable you would need many more engines exposed to different conditions of temperature, load, dirt, etc. Who does this?

/ Synthetic oil in small engines
I run Mobil 1 in all of my small engines. I usually wait until the first oil change time. Does it work? I have never had a problem, but you will never know because you can't do a statistically significant amount of testing. You would have to test 2 sets of many engines (at least 5 and maybe more) with two different kinds of oil and run them to end of life. To make the test more reliable you would need many more engines exposed to different conditions of temperature, load, dirt, etc. Who does this?

Oh I know it works. I ran it in my stock car. Tore the motor down after 2 seasons of dirt racing. Bearings were just like day one.

My concern is how many hours break in does a small engine need before I can switch to syn?

Is Mobil 1 the best choice for small engines? If not, then what brand is?

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #4  
Oh I know it works. I ran it in my stock car. Tore the motor down after 2 seasons of dirt racing. Bearings were just like day one.

My concern is how many hours break in does a small engine need before I can switch to syn?

Is Mobil 1 the best choice for small engines? If not, then what brand is?

It will probably make some parts of the engine last longer and maybe the whole thing. But you just tested one engine and not a small engine. So you can't be sure. Oh, were the valves in your engine like day one, how about all of the other parts. Having the bearings last forever is not enough. Does the small engine fail from stuff the oil can't help. I run Mobil 1 in most of my engines, I wish I really knew what the payback was.

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #5  
I use Amsoil in all my stuff.

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #6  
OK, what about the detergents? I have always been told not to run detergent oil in small engines.

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #7  
OK, what about the detergents? I have always been told not to run detergent oil in small engines.

I never heard of such a thing. I have run synthetics in everything since early '80's. That includes the lawn mower which is 19 years old now and has not been treated real well. I usually change the oil every year but not always, it has had synthetic in it since the first change or after one summers running time.

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #8  
I never heard of such a thing. I have run synthetics in everything since early '80's. That includes the lawn mower which is 19 years old now and has not been treated real well. I usually change the oil every year but not always, it has had synthetic in it since the first change or after one summers running time.

Here's a chance to learn something new then. Running non detergent oil was pretty standard fare especially on any engine that did not have an oil filter. If your engines have filters the detergents will carry the suspended material to the filter so its not really an issue. The quality of the oils and the engines has improved substantially over the years so I have not been using non-detergent oil in any of my engines ever whether they have a filter or not.

I don't think your real issue is brand but rather what weights to use. I would use any synthetic you like that meets the weight recommended by the engine manufacturer. I changed my honda GCV powered pressure washer to synthetic with maybe 2 hours of break in roughly 3 years ago. The amount of break in will not be an issue. I use Amsoil but there are any number of good oils available.

/ Synthetic oil in small engines #9  
Your engines will break in on synthetic oil, maybe just a litter slower due to better lubrication. I usually switch everything to synthetic at the first oil change. Some vehicles come from the factory now with synthetic oil in them. They all break in fine. Small engines will too.

Andy

/ Synthetic oil in small engines
Bob,
Having the bearings last forever is a sure sign the oil is doing its job, especially in severe conditions like dirt track racing. You can have your used oil analyzed and it will show how synthetic is better.

SJ & Andy,
Sounds like I'm good to change to syn after 2 hours. I better get busy!