Fuel Storage Tank Reconditioning

/ Fuel Storage Tank Reconditioning #11  
Why not ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgoldwing

I am assuming that you have no code requirements that would prevent you from installing this -
it could never be installed here (legally).

Why not ?
From the Uniform Fire Code:
The dispensing of Class I and Class II liquids into motor vehicles from aboveground tanks is
prohibited, except that dispensing from special enclosures and, when approved, from protected tanks
and below grade vaults is allowed when underground tanks are impractical. However, Appendix II-K
which establishes requirements for dispensing from non-protected tanks at private motor vehicle fuel
dispensing stations is accepted when installed in districts or zones established by the jurisdiction or
in approved locations.

In almost every town of any size in Connecticut you would never get a permit. Some of the smaller towns just don't have enforcement capabilities.

/ Fuel Storage Tank Reconditioning #12  
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgoldwing

I am assuming that you have no code requirements that would prevent you from installing this -
it could never be installed here (legally).

Why not ?
From the Uniform Fire Code:
The dispensing of Class I and Class II liquids into motor vehicles from aboveground tanks is
prohibited, except that dispensing from special enclosures and, when approved, from protected tanks
and below grade vaults is allowed when underground tanks are impractical. However, Appendix II-K
which establishes requirements for dispensing from non-protected tanks at private motor vehicle fuel
dispensing stations is accepted when installed in districts or zones established by the jurisdiction or
in approved locations.

In almost every town of any size in Connecticut you would never get a permit. Some of the smaller towns just don't have enforcement capabilities.
Nearly every farm in IL has at least one above ground tank. Lots of construction companies use them too.

/ Fuel Storage Tank Reconditioning #13  
Nearly every farm in IL has at least one above ground tank. Lots of construction companies use them too.

Most old tanks are single wall tanks. That means in some locations you would have to have a secondary containment system. Sole source aquifer rules require it. Then you get into fire protection rules. And leak monitoring. Believe me, it gets expensive when you have to meet those rules.

/ Fuel Storage Tank Reconditioning #14  
Most old tanks are single wall tanks. That means in some locations you would have to have a secondary containment system. Sole source aquifer rules require it. Then you get into fire protection rules. And leak monitoring. Believe me, it gets expensive when you have to meet those rules.
I can think of four businesses (one each farm, trucking company, excavating company, waste disposal service) within 2 miles of my house that have single wall 1000 gallon or bigger above ground fuel tanks with no secondary containment system.

A buddy of mine used to own the biggest bulk fuel plant in southern FL. He spent a fortune on bringing his facility up to code.