Diesel fuel life

/ Diesel fuel life #1  

streamin

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5035 HST
I recently was given 300 gallons of off-road diesel but it has been sitting for a little over a year already. My guess is that it will take me another year or 2 to go through it. My question is, should it be ok and should I add some stabilizer to it at this point? If so, is that "sta-bil" that others talk about the best for my situation? I am in the south so no freezing either. Thanks

/ Diesel fuel life #2  
Your Diesel should be good for up to 10 yrs..If you google " diesel fuel life " there is much to read. I have a filter on my fuel tank that catches any water ( from condensation ) and debris that might be present. As far as an additive ..there are many diesel specific additives available..I just saw one at wal mart today it was $6.00 and treats 100 gallons and then they had another container that treats up to 250 ga.

/ Diesel fuel life
10 years? that's great. Thanks for the reply

/ Diesel fuel life #4  
I recently was given 300 gallons of off-road diesel but it has been sitting for a little over a year already. My guess is that it will take me another year or 2 to go through it. My question is, should it be ok and should I add some stabilizer to it at this point? If so, is that "sta-bil" that others talk about the best for my situation? I am in the south so no freezing either. Thanks
"sta-bil" is for gas not diesel .
Your Diesel should be good for up to 10 yrs..If you google " diesel fuel life " there is much to read. I have a filter on my fuel tank that catches any water ( from condensation ) and debris that might be present. As far as an additive ..there are many diesel specific additives available..
*I just saw one at wal mart today it was $6.00 and treats 100 gallons and then they had another container that treats up to 250 ga.
*I get power service in the white bottle at wal mart.

/ Diesel fuel life #5  
You will be fine. Just do as others say and add some diesel fuel additive with bio side like the Power Serve in the white bottle or the Howse, which I prefer.

Dump in a gallon, which I think treats 250 gallons and use it. Make sure you have a filter on your tank.

Chris

/ Diesel fuel life #6  
Neither the common white or silver bottles of Power Service nor Howes has biocide in them. Have to add it seperately if you want that.

/ Diesel fuel life #7  
Your biggest concern where it is warm like that is algae growing in the fuel, get the biocide and put that in also.

/ Diesel fuel life #8  
Some form of Biocide will be a must, given that it is a few years old you will need a filter for water/debris.. the primary concerns dealing with water are:

1) Emulsified water, where the water is suspended in the fuel like oil and vinegar in salad dressing.

2) Free water, where the water is separated from the fuel and usually is found on the bottom of fuel/storage tanks.

3) Dissolved water, where the water has been chemically dissolved in the fuel, like sugar in coffee. The warmer the fuel, the more water will be dissolved, but as temperatures drop, the water will come out of the solution in the form of free water.

(Here is the link

If the water is free water, tilting your tank will help and putting your pump at the opposite end, so the water will set in the lowest part of the tank.. then in afew years when you do use it all dispose of the last couple of gallons somehow.

/ Diesel fuel life
Thanks for all the info!!!

/ Diesel fuel life #10  
I bought two of these filter funnels (a large one and a small one). I ran some old diesel through it. The filter let the diesel through but not the water and dirt in the fuel. You can order these from several sites but I got mine through Amazon. I have to give credit somebody a couple years ago that posted the information about this filter funnel on this site.

Link

Bill in NC