Fuel Mixture for Winter? (#1 and #2 mixture?)

/ Fuel Mixture for Winter? (#1 and #2 mixture?) #21  
I can't do that here because both are not available here at the same time .

You do some of your own blending when you add the diesel additive. Also, it would be pretty unusual for it to get to the low temperatures that we experience here, south of Canton, Ohio.

Here in the winter you can find #1 and #2 on, and off road diesel as well as the infamous winter blend. So we have 5 choices for our diesel tractor.

/ Fuel Mixture for Winter? (#1 and #2 mixture?) #22  
And don't forget the K-1 pump at your favorite gas station. You always have that available if you get the blending itch.:D

/ Fuel Mixture for Winter? (#1 and #2 mixture?) #23  
We operate snowmobile trail grooming equipment- Tucker Snocats Tucker Sno-Cat Corporation - HOME We use a 70/30 blend (number 2 and number 1 ) with PS added. The Snocats live outside with either an block heater or a Webasto. Here in Wyoming it gets cold -30 is not uncommon.

We have bulk farm tanks for fuel storage- so we can request a 70/30 blend. We have found if you use 50/50 blend- you lose HP and $$$$$

Last edited:
   / Fuel Mixture for Winter? (#1 and #2 mixture?) #24  
GENERALLY speaking:

#2 is our primary use fuel (best BTU, lubrication, and cost) and #1 is used for transit busses clean air stuff etc.

Winterized #2 is simply #2 fuel with an additive to keep it going as temps approach freezing. How far down it will take you will vary with the supplier

Winter Blend is generally #2 with % of #1 or kerosene added. Most I believe would use #1.

70/30 is 70% #2 and 30% #1

Myself I buy #2 non winterized and treat myself in my 575 gallon storage tank. If it gets REALLY cold it might not flow, but I'm talking sub zero temps. Since my vehicles park inside it's not an issue for me as I just make sure I have the tanks full and they don't sit long enough to cool and plug filters.

When in doubt add a bit of #1 or kero. You will not have the same BTU potential, but it will take you to lower temps.

Last edited:
   / Fuel Mixture for Winter? (#1 and #2 mixture?) #25  
I've got a truck stop not far from my place. I normally don't buy fuel there but was in there the other day filling my Powerstroke. There was a sign on the pump that said "Winterized Fuel". After filling I went in inside and asked the Manager what temperature this fuel was good to. He said 20. I said 20 above or 20 below? He said sarcastically "Well 20F above of course". I just walked away. As I was driving home I wondered how many unknowing consumers fill up there each day thinking they are protected because of that handwritten sign saying "Winterized Fuel"...... :mad:

I run 50/50 blend in my JD Road Grader and never have problems. After pushing snow in low temps all night the entire engine compartment is a block of ice including the fuel filters.

You'll only get stranded out in the country on a cold night with fuel problems once. After that you pay very close attention to details such as fuel blending or treatment. As others have mentioned, it totally sucks to have fuel gel. :(

/ Fuel Mixture for Winter? (#1 and #2 mixture?) #26  
GENERALLY speaking:

#2 is our primary use fuel (best BTU, lubrication, and cost) and #1 is used for transit busses clean air stuff etc.

Winterized #2 is simply #2 fuel with an additive to keep it going as temps approach freezing. How far down it will take you will vary with the supplier

Winter Blend is generally #2 with % of #1 or kerosene added. Most I believe would use #1.

70/30 is 70% #2 and 30% #1

Myself I buy #2 non winterized and treat myself in my 575 gallon storage tank. If it gets REALLY cold it might not flow, but I'm talking sub zero temps. Since my vehicles park inside it's not an issue for me as I just make sure I have the tanks full and they don't sit long enough to cool and plug filters.

When in doubt add a bit of #1 or kero. You will not have the same BTU potential, but it will take you to lower temps.
What is the difference between #1 and winter blend ?

/ Fuel Mixture for Winter? (#1 and #2 mixture?) #28  
Are you serious?

Winter blend is a BLEND!

Back when I drove for Standard Oil ( BP Amoco ) winter blend was 25% #1 and 75% #2.

We had Kero and we had refined diesel with additive that did not need a blend.

We only blended for people using furnace oil. Yes there is refined diesel fuel !!!

Today around these parts we can no longer get the high quality diesel so the put additive into furnace oil at the rack and blend for winter.